creating a 3way circuit

Old 03-18-06, 02:02 PM
creating a 3way circuit

I have a single pole switch that has 3 sets of wires comming into the box. One is power, one goes to the fixture and I'm not sure what the other is. I am thinking that it is going to a recepticle that is close to it. Here is my question..I'm going to replace the single pole with a 3phase switch and wire it to a light and another switch......not knowing exactly what the wires are at the first switch, how do I make the right connections? I hope all that dribble makes sense

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-06, 02:40 PM
Assuming you want the original light to still be powered by the switch, then you need to rethink your plan.

The best way to accomplish what you want is to run the new light from the existing light, and then add the second switch to control both lights. To add the second switch you will need to run three conductor (plus ground) cable from the existing switch to the new switch. However, this may not be possible and still allow you to be within code. Box fill will come into play.

Before proceeding, consider other options.

Can you abandon the cable from the existing to switch to the existing light, and run a cable from the existing switch to the new switch and then to both lights?

Old 03-18-06, 04:08 PM
I'm not 100% clear what you want to do. If you want to control the existing light from two locations instead of the one you have now it is simple to wire. All you need to do is run a 14/3 cable from the existing switch to the new switch location.

Old 03-18-06, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Assuming you want the original light to still be powered by the switch, then you need to rethink your plan.

The best way to accomplish what you want is to run the new light from the existing light, and then add the second switch to control both lights. To add the second switch you will need to run three conductor (plus ground) cable from the existing switch to the new switch. However, this may not be possible and still allow you to be within code. Box fill will come into play.

Before proceeding, consider other options.

Can you abandon the cable from the existing to switch to the existing light, and run a cable from the existing switch to the new switch and then to both lights?

Yes, I plan to abandon the existing cable to the light and procede with the set up you described.

Old 03-18-06, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by joed
I'm not 100% clear what you want to do. If you want to control the existing light from two locations instead of the one you have now it is simple to wire. All you need to do is run a 14/3 cable from the existing switch to the new switch location.

I guess my confusion is with the set up at the original switch. I'm not sure what is comming into that box. I plan to abandon the cable from it to to the light, run 14/3 to a second switch and from there 12/2 to the light.

Old 03-18-06, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this a 15 A ckt? if so 14GA wire is ok.
NOW shut off the power.
From your existing sw, run your 3 conductor (b/r/w/ground) to the new sw location.
From new sw location run your 2 condutor to the new light. @ the new location splice the white wires together and tuck in the box(neutrals). On the black colored screw of 3w sw. land the black wire to light. on the remaining 2 screws land the bk &red from the 3wire.

Now back to the original sw location: Identify the feed cable (hot & neu. from power)& the cable going to the existing light. disconnect the cable to the light and tuck it away(tape the ends).
Now take the white from the power source and connect to the white of the new 3 wire, nut and tuck in the box.......... Now take the black FEED(power) wire and connect to the black colored screw on the 3w sw. Then connect the black and red from the 3w to the remaining screws(travelers). PS: Keep the traveler wires orientation the same on both ends of the 3 wire.

Install switches and restore power.

Old 03-18-06, 07:00 PM
There is no need to abandon the cable the existing light unless you want the new light in a different location.

Old 03-18-06, 07:19 PM
I plan to abandon the cable from it to to the light, run 14/3 to a second switch and from there 12/2 to the light.

I assumed this meant the existing light was to be omitted.And a new(location) one installed.

Old 03-18-06, 11:17 PM
quoted by : lectriclee
I plan to abandon the cable from it to to the light, run 14/3 to a second switch and from there 12/2 to the light
Eh ?? 14/3 with 12-2 romex wire ?? i am looking at this one

is is running on 15 amp or 20 amp lighting circuit ??

please do explain little more clear here

and keep in your mind the box fill will be tricky here so watchout the numbers of conductors in it

Merci , Marc

Old 03-19-06, 08:04 AM
The power originates at the original light. You can't just remove the cable to the switch and abandon it. You will need to put a cover on the box and leave it or you have to remove the cable back to the power source also. If any other circuits are fed through that box they need to be moved also.

Old 03-19-06, 06:55 PM
French277V,
14/3 -12/2 not my quote (still learning the computer)
Original poster has not responded to ckt Amps. And If he/she wants to run 6s, No problem, Just watch the fill, Agreed.

Joed,
The first post indicacted that the power source was from the switch, Not the light. A second cable did a receptical, also in the sw. box (not uncommon), and the third goes to the light.
Thats what I went with. Am I that far off?

Old 03-20-06, 11:14 AM
Opps.
I got this post confused with another post where there are two switch loops in a box that was being converted to 3 way.

Old 03-21-06, 05:43 PM
Very easy to do here!