220 volt 3 prong vs. 4 prong

Old 03-19-06, 10:00 AM
220 volt 3 prong vs. 4 prong

I just moved an electric (220V) clothes dryer into a new house. Dryer has 3 prong cord, outlet has 4 prong receptical. What's that about? and how do I fix? Change the cord or change the receptical? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-06, 10:02 AM
You need to change the cord on the dryer. You also need to make a small change in the back of the dryer where the cord connects. Follow the dryer manufacturer's instructions. If you don't have the instructions, get them from the manufacturer, usually available on-line.

Old 03-19-06, 10:05 AM
Okay, many thanks. But what is the reason for the difference?

Old 03-19-06, 10:28 AM
Up until a short while ago it was legal to install electric ranges and electric dryers with three conductor cable, three conductor cable being cheaper and using less copper.

However, four conductor cable and installation is just a little bit safer than three conductor, so now any new installations must be four wire. While it is okay to connect a new dryer or new range to a 3 wire connection (provided you use the three wire installation method), if a four wire connection exists then you must use it.

Old 03-19-06, 10:38 AM
Okay. So, If I had a 4 prong corded dryer and moved it into a 3 prong receptical house, I could change the cord to a 3 prong cord?

Old 03-19-06, 11:13 AM
Yes, your appliance must match your existing house wiring, and any new house wiring must be four wire.