Wires touching ducts.

Reply

  #1  
Old 03-19-06, 03:42 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 26
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wires touching ducts.

I am wiring and I noticed that some of the existing wiring in the house is touching ductwork. Is this okay, because I need to run some wire over a duct. If it is not okay what can I do.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-19-06, 04:27 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's okay.
 
  #3  
Old 03-19-06, 06:34 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 26
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you I will press on.
 
  #4  
Old 03-20-06, 01:46 PM
diyplank's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Williamsport
Posts: 728
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I just totally rewired my house from basement to attic and found in the kitchen in the wall an old live wire running through the stud into the heat duct and out the other stud that the heat duct set into!!! TALK ABOUT idiots who ever did the wiring in the house!! It is the old creasote soaked wires w/ wrapping around the wire that just crumbles to bits when u touch it!!! It was terrible!!!! Just thought I would share. GOOD LUCK
 
  #5  
Old 03-20-06, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,944
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by diyplank
...an old live wire running through the stud into the heat duct and out the other stud that the heat duct set into!!!
Wiring is permitted to run perpendicular through a stud space which serves as a cold air return; is that what you meant by "heat duct?"
 
  #6  
Old 03-20-06, 06:32 PM
diyplank's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Williamsport
Posts: 728
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
no it was a heat duct. It had warm air blowing out of it b/c the heat was on. That was the first day of our HUGE project of rewiring the house. I still have the hole open in the kitchen that i still need to fix. Which will be very soon since we are doing a semi remodel in the kitchen. I just can't believe that some idiot would do that. The wire was ten times worse than regular wire in the other places. It was realy realy dry rotted and just fell apart.
 
  #7  
Old 03-20-06, 07:17 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,808
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Diyplank :

i think what you describing the old wire what we called " Tube et Knob " this is very old style wiring system and kinda tricky to do any repair and if you saying it is very brittle and insluation materals comming off I really suggest that that section of wire to be replace asap. before someone get zonked with it.

there are few issuse you have to dealt with this T&K system one thing the old T&K wires can not be covered with insulation second thing is most T&K have switched netural circuit that what really compound alot of DIY's even some electricican ran into this but most are wise engough to figure it out fast.

if you are not conftable with this set up i will suggest to have a electricican to come out and change that wire for you for safety reason.

Merci , Marc
 
  #8  
Old 03-22-06, 10:44 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Notwithstanding any issues that come out of the tube-and-knob wiring, you probably need to maintain a certain spacing between wiring and hot-air ducts. Where I live (Ontario) this distance is 1". If you're just crossing over a duct, you can use a chunk of insulation. I have no idea what is permitted/required in other areas.
 
  #9  
Old 03-22-06, 12:19 PM
diyplank's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Williamsport
Posts: 728
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It was not knob and tube. All that was gone when we bought the house. I wish I could post a picture of it on here. It had a creasote soaked cover then when you cut through that brown cardboard color paper wrapped the what I am guessing is aluminum wire. It was very fragile and the wire broke very easily. I still have some of the knobs from the original wiring in my attic that I have since cleaned all of them out. So it wasn't K&T. All I know is that I am glad its gone and out of the house.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: