Newbie need help with wireless buzzer entry

Old 03-20-06, 12:20 PM
Newbie need help with wireless buzzer entry

Me and my roomate are trying to make the buzzer in our apartment wireless so that we could let people in from all the rooms. The way our buzzer works is that itís a phone and you pick it up and u can talk to the person downstairs and to let them in u have to push down the hang up thing while the phone is off the hook. Now we bought a wireless doorbell and we figured that we could hook it up to the buzzer somehow so it would send a signal through and let people in when we pressed the button to our doorbell (and we would disable the sound). Do you think that this is plausible or is there a better way to go about this? Any help would be great. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-06, 12:46 PM
Wireless buzzers/doorbells are designed to do exactly what their name describes - buzz or bell. They usually consist of a battery operated stick-on button and a plug-in buzzer or chime. If I understand your idea, you would need to rewire this chime to actuate the relay that releases the door or gate.

This is a Rube Goldberg sort of solution and, while theoretically possible, would require you to do some digging into places where you really ought to be using a licensed electrician.

Old 03-20-06, 01:03 PM
Right we were looking to rewire the wireless chime to the buzzer in the apartment. Would you say there is an easier way to do this if I can get into the buzzer myself

Old 03-20-06, 01:07 PM
You live in an apartment. Don't go messing with their equipment. Not only is it illegal, but if you screw something up and cause a fire you will be criminally liable.

Old 03-20-06, 02:29 PM
Actually, if you want to turn this into a really interesting (and legal) contstruction project, you could build a little mechanical device that picked up the phone and poked the button - all triggered by the buzzer. Sort of a little robot that mounts on the wall. That way you wouldn't have to make any electrical modifications and it would be completely removable when you move out.

Old 03-21-06, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by idea-catalyst
Actually, if you want to turn this into a really interesting (and legal) contstruction project, you could build a little mechanical device that picked up the phone and poked the button - all triggered by the buzzer. Sort of a little robot that mounts on the wall. That way you wouldn't have to make any electrical modifications and it would be completely removable when you move out.
That might sound humorous or unlikely to the young whipper-snappers here but back in the stone age before the baby Bells when you weren't allowed to touch phone wiring the early answering machines worked just that way. They picked up the receiver and put it on an acoustical coupler.