Will this generator work?

Old 03-20-06, 04:57 PM
Question Will this generator work?

I live in a rural area where we get ocasional black outs. I want to be able to hook up a portable generator to power the well pump with a little power left over to run the exhaust fan on the LP water heater. the well pump is 240 volt on a double pole 30 amp breaker. I put an amp meter on it at the breaker box and got 13.5 amps on each leg with a momentary spike of 20 amps at start up. The generator I am looking at buying is rated at 5550 watts continuis. It has 2 - 120 volt outlets rated for 20 amps and 1 - 120/240 volt outlet rated for 30 amps 120 volt or 15 amps 240 volt.
so here are my questions:
1. whats the wattage of my well pump?
2. when they say on the generator 15 amps 240 volt is that each leg or total of both legs
3. getting down to brass tacks, Will this generator work?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-06, 05:43 PM
Your needs 13.5 amps to run. It spikes ot 20 amps on startup. The generator can only supply 15 amps at 240 volts. The generator will probably not handle the startup of the pump. It is very close call but it just might work. I would not guarantee it though.

Last edited by joed; 03-21-06 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-21-06, 05:57 AM
The generator will not handle the pump.

Old 03-21-06, 10:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by timn
I put an amp meter on it at the breaker box and got 13.5 amps on each leg with a momentary spike of 20 amps at start up.
The start-up current is probably higher than 20A, your meter just wasn't quick enough to catch it. It's probably more like 40A.

whats the wattage of my well pump?
240V * 13.5A = 3240W, running. Start-up is considerably higher.

2. when they say on the generator 15 amps 240 volt is that each leg or total of both legs
240V * 15A = 3600W.
(120V * 15A) + (120V * 15A) = 3600W
120V * 30A = 3600W

One 15A 240V circuit is equivalent in power output to two 15A 120V circuits.

3. getting down to brass tacks, Will this generator work?
In my opinion, no.

Old 03-21-06, 03:02 PM
not so fast, maybe, maybe not

I've got a 5500watt generator, it also has a "surge" rating of 7800 watts. That's 32amps surge, 23 continuous. It starts and runs my 2hp air compressor, but I get the impression it's not good for much more. I'd say it has a shot at it, but are you really willing to run a household with just hot and cold water? How about lights? A 7500watt generator is a better move.

Old 03-21-06, 06:13 PM
i was reading this forum about this person ask about the generator question.

most generator do have " surge " rating useally higher than running wattage but the surge wattage it very depent on design and type of engine it will drive the generator.

you have to keep in your mind the electric motors can take up to 6X of running current [ both watts and amps] and some generator just dont have much surge or reserve for starting up motors

the size you describeing it kinda pretty small but barley do the job for well only sans the lights but what i rather recomoned to go bigger unit something like 7500 watt or larger running wattage.

[ most average size home i install generators useally are 10,000 or 15,000 watt size or larger depening on set up ]

the other thing it really draw my attetion here is when you run on stand by power you must have a transfer switch to isloated the uilty power system

just about every where you must have a transfer switch it dont matter if you want manual or automatic type but for safety sake for everyone here please resect this very carefull here

Merci, Marc

Old 03-21-06, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the help everybody, This generator does have 8000 watt surge, but from what i have read on Consumer Reports is the generator manufactures over exagerate there capabilities.
Looks like Im gonna need a bigger generator. the transfer switch was a given.

Old 03-21-06, 06:55 PM
but from what i have read on Consumer Reports is the generator manufactures over exagerate there capabilities.
not always the generators manufactors have to rated to keep it from overheating or overloading it.

i work on so many diffrent size generators from little 500 watts to monster diesel or turbine driven geneator have plenty punch to keep mid size city going and the generator manufactor did spend alot of time to design it right for safety and durbitly.

and the other thing with smaller generators they dont have much reserve due the engine and generator size it easy to stop the geneator by overloading hard or high surge manytime it will just stop the engine right on the spot. [ it do happend with large diesel engine as well ]

basically the generator is about the excat the same as electric motor they dont like to be overloaded at all

Merci , Marc