Circuit Breaker Keeps Popping

Old 03-21-06, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuit Breaker Keeps Popping

My Circuit Breaker Keeps Popping Even Though Nothing Is Plugged Into The Outlets On That Circuit. There Are 2 Ceiling Lights Also On That Circuit. Could It Be A Bad Breaker
Or Wiring, And How Would I Check The Wiring, Will Disconnecting The Wiring From The Outlets And Lights Help To Pinpoint The Problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 11:33 AM
It could be a bad breaker or it could be a problem somewhere on the circuit.

You need to isolate the problem, if you feel comfortable doing so.

I would start at the panel. Remove the hot wire from the breaker. If the breaker still trips when you turn it on then replace the breaker. If it doesn't, keep checking.

Divide the circuit roughly in half. Half is a bit arbitrary, but make a guess. Remove a receptacle or a light completely (either take it out, writing down the wire connections, or at least remove the hot and neutral wires so that you eliminate half the circuit. If the breaker keeps tripping, the the problem is on the charged half of the circuit. If the breaker doesn't trip, the the problem is on the ;uncharged half of the circuit.

Keep going, adding or removing portions of the circuit until you find the problem.

Old 03-21-06, 12:01 PM
A little history would be useful. Has it always done this for as long as you've been living there? Or did you go to bed one night without a problem and wake up with this? Or was there some activity or event that coincided with the beginning of the problem? Have there been any changes recently?

Old 03-21-06, 07:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
"Activity" could be as simple as moving furniture,a picture falling of the wall, Changing a lamp, new device covers Etc.. Sounds silly but we have all seen stranger things I'm sure.

Old 03-22-06, 08:12 AM
:weird:
Originally Posted by John Nelson
A little history would be useful. Has it always done this for as long as you've been living there? Or did you go to bed one night without a problem and wake up with this? Or was there some activity or event that coincided with the beginning of the problem? Have there been any changes recently?

NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE RECENTLY, I DID HAVE A NEW ROOF PUT ON BUT THE PROBLEM STARTED A FEW WEEKS AFTER THAT WAS DONE. I DISCONNECTED THE WIRING TO ALL THE ELECTRICAL OUTLETS AND THE WIRING FROM THE ONE HANGING LAMP ON THAT CIRCUIT AND THE WIRING TO THE RECESED LIGHT. WHEN I TRY TO TURN THE BREAKER ON IT POPS IMMEDIATLY

Old 03-22-06, 09:31 AM
Okay. Follow the rest of Bob's advice or call a professional. Don't just keep resetting the breaker.

It is theoretically possible that a roofing nail hit a cable.

Old 03-22-06, 07:18 PM
Sorry, I meant to add "re-roofing" as an activity. Is it possable that perhaps a roofing nail penatrated a wire? Depending upon the severity of such a penatration, It would not atall be uncommon for this situation to appear several days or weeks or more later. Was there any other things done? Windows, doors, fatia boards Etc....? Did they use a compressor on this job? where was it connected? IE: ckt that is tripping? Stranger things happen.
Oh Also, If you are comfortable with this.... As noted in the 1st reply,
Have you disconnected the wire from the breaker to iliminate that?

Old 03-23-06, 07:23 AM
no i have not done the breaker yet but that is next, i went thru the attic on the second floor and checked all the wiring that was there, not much, but nothing penetrated that wiring. the outlets
and the 2 lights are all on the first floor.

Old 03-24-06, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by BIGGS2007
no i have not done the breaker yet but that is next, i went thru the attic on the second floor and checked all the wiring that was there, not much, but nothing penetrated that wiring. the outlets
and the 2 lights are all on the first floor.
Thanks all, it was the cuircit breaker...it was just
weird how it all of a sudden happened.oh well its fixed.thanks again

Old 03-24-06, 11:12 AM
Glad to hear it is corrected.
Did I write "stranger things have happend" I meant to write "weirder".