Isolated ground receptacles.

Old 03-21-06, 12:22 PM
Isolated ground receptacles.

I'm running wiring for a new home theater. A friend suggested running an isolated ground wire to the receptacle to reduce line noise. I don't see how this would accomplish anything. I mean, the isolated ground wire and the bare ground wire will both end up at the same location (ground/neutral bar). Anyone care to explain this to me?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 12:30 PM
Isolated grounding receptacles are useless in a residence. I could write a lot more words, but it wouldn't change this fact.

Old 03-21-06, 04:18 PM
You already have it figured out. Both wires are going to the same place. It is no benefit in a residential environment.

Old 03-21-06, 04:55 PM
Thank you sirs. I value the information, time, and experience you provide for us mere mortals. Curiously, where would an isolated ground show any kind of benefit? Residential or not, the wire is going to the same place as the bare ground, right? I did a web search and came up with this page from Lowe's.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...IsolatGnd.html

Now, I don't trust Lowe's any more than a toadstool, but the phrase that sticks out is "An isolated-ground also provides a clean grounding path to the service panel and reduces electromagnetic noise that can interfere with your equipment's operation."

Are they just trying to sell unneeded equipment to ignorant home owners?

Old 03-21-06, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Isolated grounds start way back at the source, From the primary voltage to an isolated transformer to the distribution to the device. BLAH.BLAH.BLAH. (thats the short version) Save your money.
Resedential, you reap the same (or close) bennefit with the dedicated ckt.

Old 03-21-06, 05:50 PM
In your home, your grounds are already "quasi-isolated". That is, each branch circuit has its own grounding conductor, that doesn't interact with other branch circuits. True, if you have 4 recepts on a particular circuit, they will share the same grounding conductor; But, your not sharing with the clothes dryer, dishwasher, etc. Certainly this is more true with NM cable wiring methods than using EMT with a number of share circuits.
In a factory or other industrial setting, things get much more complex. You can be several subpanels away from the neutral/EGC bond and there may be a host of culprit devices laying waste to a shared grounding system based on EMT, as one example.