first time wiring job

Old 03-21-06, 04:43 PM
first time wiring job

hello eveyone i'm new to this wiring stuff so try and hang in their with me.

I want to replace 3 light fixtures in my basement with recptacles. Can i do this easily ?

Right now I have 5 lights on the same circuit which is a 20 amp circuit. as of now all lights are just regular lightbulbs (60 Watt).

I want to install three recptacles in the place of 3 fixtures so I can put 3 600 max watt lights in their
place. Just wanted to know if the circuit can handle that and if i can just switch the wires from fixtures to the recptacles instead.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 05:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1st: Why do you want to go that route? You have options, depending on the status of your basement. Would it not be as simple (with guidance) to install a switch and hard wire the new lights?

A few things we need......... Finished basement? Lights now, on pull chains? What is the space going to be used for? A little more info and we could hook you up.

Old 03-21-06, 06:02 PM
In response to your post i didnt know i could hard wire the lights in. If thats a better way its fine with me.
also, no my basement is not finished and as of now only one of my lights has a pull chain but, the lights i want to install do have pull chains. All 5 lights on this circuit right now are all turned off and on with one light switch.

Thanks again.

Old 03-21-06, 06:28 PM
Now were getting somewhere. What type of lights are you considering, Incandesants, flourescents, quartz etc......?

Old 03-21-06, 06:31 PM
i want to add this in here in most unfinished basement the lumiaire[s] are wired in parallel set up so all the light go on the same time but you want to add a pull chain socket if so you can control it as long the light is on.

but if you are planning to converted the basement to finished room set up you may have to change the connections for the lights but right now you can put a pull chain in there [ we do that pretty often ]

speaking of 600 watts fixures are you refering to the " shop light " type it will have two halogen bulbs in there ? if so make sure you have a space above the lumiaire due the heat it will generated alot of heat belive me they do get pretty hot btw.

Merci , Marc

P.S. there is a compact floursecent bulb you can screw in some go pretty big in size wise it will put out much as 200 watts indensecet bulb so that is the other option you can go there too.

Old 03-21-06, 06:32 PM
their flourescent lights. each putting out up to 600 watts.

Yes it is a shop type light. i have enough of a gap between light and floor probably 3-4 feet.

Old 03-21-06, 06:33 PM
ok for the florurscent some do come in hard wire and some come in corded verison so let us know which way you will be going there.

Merci , Marc

Old 03-21-06, 06:38 PM
actually i already bought 2 lights of the corded type.

Old 03-21-06, 06:44 PM
humm there is few option you can do with unfinshed basement ,

1- you can add a j-box next to the light socket and add a repecticle

2- put new repectale on the wall and have a switch to active the lumiaires as you need to.

3- this i dont know what type of shop fixure you got if you got a low priced shop fixure then the option is limited to stay with cord other wise if a strip fixure kinda like rectauar box shape

maybe there is more option you can go from there but if this shop fixure is the " low priced " like 8 or 10 buck type let us know

Merci , Marc

Old 03-21-06, 06:49 PM
the lights were 30 dollars each. I assume i cant just take out the light fixture and replace with receptacle.

when im in my basement i have all lights on. its my game room (poker,billiards,and table tennis)

Old 03-21-06, 06:50 PM
So then you may want a receptical. Will you still want these lights on the same sw itch or pull chain? Fact is they won't work unless the existing switch is on as you described earlier.
But thats ok sounds like this is a large crawl space.

Try to give us just a bit better idea of what your ultimate goal is and we can move on.

Old 03-21-06, 06:54 PM
I just want it to be real bright in my basement especially above poker table pool table and etc.

I rather all the lights be on the same switch as they are now. I dont want to have to pull chains for lights to come on.

My basement is like 1800 square foot.

Old 03-21-06, 06:58 PM
if any chance you look at the lumiaire on the top of it or on the side you should see a pre punch " knock out " punch mark ? if so then you can really open the options we can go from there

Merci , Marc

Old 03-21-06, 07:02 PM
sorry lights are in van which is at my wife's work. Any other options just in case their is no punch out?

Old 03-21-06, 07:20 PM
ok, if dont have any punch mark at all then therefore i can't really recomend to cut the cord and hard wired with the factory cord there which i dont want to go in that spot so just keep the options open and prepared to add a repectale next to the lumiare socket .

to add outlet you will have to get a single gang box [ rather have pretty deep type ] and 14-2 or 12-2 wire depending on the wire[s] go in the light socket there.

to order to change it before you start this please do kill the circuit before you open this [ i dont always trust the switch at all just go to the breaker box and flip the breaker that affect this lighting circuit ]

you have to open the light socket [ some case will have very long screw to unscrew it ] then before you take the wires off make a note how it connected this is very imporant step here to prevent a mess later .

then take a wire and stick in the hole in the box and strip the outer shreading to expose the wires then stick in there and hook up black to black white to white green/bare to green/bare wire then go to the repecaile outlet brass screw for black wire silver screw for white white and green screw for green/bare wire .

it should take ya about half hour or less depending how good your skill is ..

post back here if need more question

keep in your mind the repactales you have to mark it say for lighting only so in case someone else plug in something else by mistake [ i rather have single outlet ]

Merci , Marc

Old 03-21-06, 07:29 PM
ok a coulple more questions, i wont need the light fixture if a put in receptacle so why cant i just take out light fixture and install receptacle with wires from light fixture?
Also a single outlet is fine but why would i have to mark it?

Thanks alot.

Old 03-21-06, 07:38 PM
ok to clear up this matter up most lumiare socket useally are 4 inch round and it is not easy to put a duplex or singleplex outlet at all and there is not too many place do have this oddball cover to fit in there so you can get a 4 inch round blank cover after you remove the light socket but some area i will just leave it on and use small bulb like 15 watter or soemthing like that in case floursecnt light dont light up.

the reason why i say mark the box saying " for light only " due the NEC code in unfinshed basement it required to run GFCI and someone will get a funny idea to defeat the safety item here
and if my memeroy serve me right most basement light are not connected to the wall outlets at all as i say most but for older home that might be little diffrent there.

Merci, Marc

Old 03-21-06, 07:52 PM
ok so i cant just take out the light fixture box and put in smaller receptacle box?

Old 03-21-06, 08:13 PM
well you can take it out but you might damage the insluation on wires if this light socket box is plastic [ belive me it will nick the wires if not carefull ] and put in min of 18 inch box that is med deep one gang box but i rather get very deep kind like 23 or 25 ci box so have more room to put in without get all tight in there.

some older home some case there will be a doorbell transformer hook up with the basement light [ that part you have to watch it. it get tricky there. [ if you run into that please do make a note how it connected before you mess around with the box]

Merci , Marc

Old 03-21-06, 08:17 PM
ok thanks alot,you've been very helpful. I'll let you know about punch-out in light when i find out.

Again thanks alot.