I need a single grounded outlet

Old 03-22-06, 06:09 AM
I need a single grounded outlet

Hello all -

I just purchased a plasma tv, and it's now obvious that I need a grounded outlet for this baby. Is it possible to use copper plumbing to connect the ground to? I have easy access to the back of this outlet as I'm doing a bathroom remodel in the next room over, and have easy access to my copper plumbing as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-06, 06:16 AM
In Canada this is legal. In the US it is not.

In my opinion you shouldn't do it period. Run a new circuit for the TV.

Old 03-22-06, 06:18 AM
I should add that the entire house is not grounded, so with the little I know, to run a new circuit, I would need to have a grounding rod put in and have the electrical panel grounded. Is this correct?

Old 03-22-06, 06:20 AM
Assuming you are in the U.S., you cannot ground a receptacle directly to the plumbing; you will need to run a ground wire (or new grounded cable) back to the panel. The possible exception to this need would be if your existing wire is in grounded metal counduit. Pros will likely soon weigh in with more details.

Old 03-22-06, 06:26 AM
Check the water line where it enters the home. If it is copper, there should be a wire clamped to it near the point where it enters the home. THis wire likely runs to your service panel and provides grounding.

Old 03-22-06, 06:27 AM
I meant metal (galvanized steel or copper) when I said "copper."

Old 03-22-06, 06:35 AM
I redid the plumbing a year ago, going from galvenized to copper. There was no wire connecting to the panel, and I know the house is not grounded. I have galvenized that runs out to the street underground, and I put a 3" brass connector between the copper and the galvenized.

Also, not arguing with anyones information here, but why would something be legal in Canada and not in the US? Silly sounding question, but physics for Canadiens is not different from the physics for US, in my thinking. Is it simply stricter codes here, but not necessarily that it doesn't work?

Old 03-22-06, 06:55 AM
Electrical codes are based on safety. It is potentially more dangerous to ground to your plumbing anywhere than it is to ground all the way back to the main panel. Canada is allowing a less safe installation than the US.

If your plumbing is truly not connected to electrical system then connecting a wire to the plumbing will do you no good at all.

I recommend hat you bring in an electrician and have your panel properly grounded. This will mean connection to the plumbing and then probably one or two ground rods. While the electrician is in, you can have him or her run a new circuit for your plasma TV.

Old 03-31-06, 12:12 PM
Question related to this thread...

I am in a similar situation as Lorezz. But my house has been grounded, just not completely. It was built in 1957. There are some grounded outlets. I know where the water ground wire is and the breaker/electrical ground wire is.

If I want to ground say 1 or 2 outlets. Do I just run a copper or green coated copper line from the outlet box to the grounding wire? Is there a particular gauge to use? How do I connect the two, where does it have to be connected to the grounding wire? Can it just be twisted around it or something? Do I run the wire to the ground rod - which is outside. We have a crawl space so I think it'd have to go through there. Obviously, I have no clue

Appreciate the help. We are wanting to ground some outlets for TV, computer and refrigerator. Thanks!

Old 03-31-06, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by gulickgurl
Do I just run a copper or green coated copper line from the outlet box to the grounding wire? Is there a particular gauge to use?
It should be green or bare copper wire of the same gauge of the circuit, either #14 or #12.

How do I connect the two, where does it have to be connected to the grounding wire? Can it just be twisted around it or something? Do I run the wire to the ground rod - which is outside.
The ground wire should be terminated to a screw at the ground bus in the main panel -- the white neutral wires terminate there also.

With the difficulty of running a single ground wire, many people opt to simply pull new circuits with modern cable instead. You'll get grounded receptacles and more available power.

Old 03-31-06, 12:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by lorezz
I'm doing a bathroom remodel in the next room over, and have easy access to my copper plumbing as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Why don't you just pull a new circuit for the plasma TV while you're pulling the new 20A grounded circuit that is required for the bathroom remodel?