circuitbreaker panel


Old 03-22-06, 08:58 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
circuitbreaker panel

I have a 100 amp panel in my home. Can I replace it with a 200 amp panel?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-06, 09:10 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anything is possible with the application of enough money and material. You can certainly replace the panel, but a number of other things will also need to be replaced too. Panel replacement is almost always a job for a pro, especially if you want to limit your power outage to one day. If this is an unoccupied house and you can afford to be without power for a week or two, and if you are very experienced at electrical work and willing to do your homework, it might be possible to do it yourself (but i still wouldn't recommend it).

Are you sure you need 200 amps?
Old 03-22-06, 09:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,113
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sure, But you will have to increase the feeder cables the ground, Meter socket. some of the breakers, and basicaly bring it to current code.

And this holds true even if you keep it at a 100 amp and change to a panel with more ckts. The bringing it to current code part.
So if you expand on your thoughts, it can be determined if it would be wise.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: