spa GFCI subpanel

Old 03-23-06, 12:56 PM
spa GFCI subpanel

A friend of mine is replacing a hot tub. The existing GFCI subpanel (w/disconnect) is going to be replaced with a new unit supplied w/spa. The 2005 NEC says the subpanel should be a minimum of 5 ft from the spa rim but is there any maximum distance? I seem to remember 10 ft but I may be wrong. The reason I ask is he wants to, if possible, place the subpanel on the other side of the deck where the spa sits (about 20' away)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-06, 02:37 PM
Is the location of the disconnect / emergency switch "within sight" of the equipment it serves?

There must be a general purpose receptacle 5 to 10' from the spa if it is indoors.

Old 03-23-06, 02:53 PM
Yes, it is within sight, about 20' to one side of the spa.

Old 03-23-06, 02:54 PM
It is outdoors.

Old 03-24-06, 05:07 PM
Emergency Shutoff for Spa

I am also installing a hot tub and will put in a GFCI breaker designed for a hot tup. I am not sure that an emergency cutoff switch is required, though. According to the 2005 NEC:

680.41 Emergency Switch for Spas and Hot Tubs.
A clearly labeled emergency shutoff or control switch for the purpose of stopping the motor(s) that provide power to the recirculation system and jet system shall be installed at a point readily accessible to the users and not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) away, adjacent to, and within sight of the spa or hot tub. This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings.

Since this hot tub will be installed at a single family dwelling, I don't think I need an emergency switch.

Old 03-24-06, 06:47 PM
Do you have a means "within sight" of the equipment to shut off the equipment?
If you can pull the plug, that is quite sufficient.