Receptacles in a Church

Old 03-23-06, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Receptacles in a Church

Hi,

I wanted to find out if anyone could help me locate the information in the NEC that covered how many receptacles was needed in a church. I looked in Art. 518 and did not find anything.
I am trying to give a helping hand to a poor church. I am sure who ever they get to wire their church will know the answer. But we only do residential. So I wondered if it was the same standards other than you can't use NM romex.

Ok I know this is way off the beaten path for a DYI project. But I was hoping that someone would know the answer. The church that I am talking about just bought this building from someone else and then found out that they were going to have to bring many things up to code the electrical being one of them.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-06, 06:17 PM
You need a receptacle every 12' minimum along your outside walls.
However, you should place receptacles based on need.
You need receptacles for folks using recorders, laptops, sound/video equipment, projectors, etc., during services in addition to those needed for vacuum sweepers and decorations.

The stage, choir, and balcony areas should have outlets from several branch circuits to maximize available power.

Parents appreciate it if you place the receptacles higher than typical so the little tykes don't probe them.

Old 03-23-06, 07:17 PM
speaking of church location the codes are kinda little fussy with this depending on how big the church and number of peoples will show up kinda like " assambely " area if i recall there is a not real but close magic number i think about 90-100 the codes do change a bit and the other thing is with church please dont use romex in there [ most area frown on this one ]

if you plan to dealt with lighting system be extra carefull here i know alot of church have very powerfull spot lights so you have to keep in mind for extra circuits.

if other question please do ask us we will try to guide it right for ya

Merci , Marc

Old 03-23-06, 10:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by bolide
You need a receptacle every 12' minimum along your outside walls.
Bolide, can you tell me where you find this code? This is not a dwelling so I am wondering which code you are referring to.

French, a church (or ANY place of worship) is automatically a Place of Assembly and falls under NEC Art.518

Old 03-23-06, 10:25 PM
speedy pete:

French, a church (or ANY place of worship) is automatically a Place of Assembly and falls under NEC Art.518
ok thanks for the head up i overlook that item and get me in right point.

Merci , Marc

Old 03-24-06, 07:22 AM
Except for residences, receptacles in most occupancies are positioned according to need. Additionally, there are often local requirements for these type buildings. You need to arm yourself with these and the codebook before doing/overseeing any work. Different rooms in the building may fall under other articles as well, since most of the time the rules change when the room isn't useable by 100 or more people. If you can borrow a code handbook at a library or another source it would greatly benefit you as these details are described reasonably well.

Old 03-24-06, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. Sure appreciate the help.
I just was not aware that they had that much flexibility in receptacle placement.
Whoever sold it to them must have ditched it because they learned that they would have to bring the building up to codes. And when we went to bid on the heating and cooling we tried to answer some of their questions about the electrical as well since my dad use to wire huge buildings. It is a friend of the family so we were trying to help out as much as possible.

One of the first things I noticed though is that the guy that was there before had wired the place up all over with #12 romex all over the place. As I recall from reading elsewhere that in itself is a major violation. Glad I don't have to deal with trying to pull all that wire out and rewire it. Sure do feel sorry for our friend though.

Old 03-24-06, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
can you tell me where you find this code?
It's the Hoover Code.
You need these receptacles for hoovering between the pews, etc.

Old 03-25-06, 06:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by bolide
It's the Hoover Code.
You need these receptacles for hoovering between the pews, etc.
All humor aside, we follow the NEC, not the Hoover code.
If we are joking, or simply giving our opinion, lets make that pretty clear. Flat out telling someone they "need" something implies it is a required code.

Unk make a very good point about different areas. Certain areas of churches and chapels do NOT fall under PoA codes. Private rooms, small meeting rooms and offices for instance.