Television coaxial + 12V wiring in same double-gang box?

Old 03-23-06, 07:13 PM
biver
Visiting Guest
Television coaxial + 12V wiring in same double-gang box?

I am wiring a kitchen and real estate is somewhat limited for outlet boxes above the countertop. I would like a 120V kitchen outlet in the same area as a television coaxial cable. Can I get away with only one installed outlet box?

[TV would be on countertop, or possibly one of those fancy models that undermounts on the upper cabinets]

1) One possibility is that I can get away with no outlet box for the coax, just snake it through the drywall right underneath the cabinet. The 120V then gets a single outlet box.

2) Another is to combine the coax with the 120V in the same double gang box.

But my spider-sense is tingling - can someone tell me which of these two ideas is the worst??? Also, what NEC says about it might be nice, too

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-06, 07:26 PM
They do make special boxes in which low voltage cables and regular line voltage cables can terminate. These boxes have a metal plate down the middle and the two portions of the box are kept isolated. You could look for one of those if you really wanted to.

However, it is good idea to keep low voltage cables and line voltage cables separated by at least a foot, crossing at right angles only when absolutely necessary.. If you follow this rule, you will see that it is just about impossible to use one of these combination boxes easily.