Your help has been GREAT but I have another question

Old 03-23-06, 09:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your help has been GREAT but I have another question

Since I have gotten bad info from other sources, I need this one answered. I have a 400A entrance with 2 200a subpanels. 1 subpanel has 30 "slots" for standard size breakers. I have been told that I can use up to 10 slim line breakers ( making a total of 40 breakers instead of 30) Assuming I do not go beyond the 200A capacity, can this be done with out getting a red tag from the inspector?? Man, if I get this one answered, I got it whipped !!!! Thanks all for the help

Old 03-23-06, 09:38 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
ok for main breaker box you going have to get the number off from the box then we can able tell you if that is 30 space full breaker or 30-40 box set up .

you have to find this label it will be inside the box or inside the cover door it will tell you the info there .

the reason why i say 30-40 because some slot you can use the twin or tadeam breaker in there but a catch you have to watch where you land it. most newer box have specal notch so they can take specal twin breaker.

let us know then we can guide ya right .

Merci , Marc

Old 03-23-06, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks..... The box is a Homeline BXH34A /K. Fropm what I can tell from the label, it is not a 30 - 40 since it says 30 circuits max. Hope I am wrong here cause I need 38 circuits outta this location.

Old 03-23-06, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> I need 38 circuits

You need another subpanel.

As is so typical, the smallest panel is always installed.
Instead of hanging a 40-space panel, someone hung a 30-space panel and pocketed the change.

What you should consider is whether it makes sense to locate a subpanel on another floor or in another part of the house where it can serve a cluster of nearby circuits.
Kitchen, garage, and second floor tend to be good candidates.

Probably this is how it should have been done in the first place. This technique conserves cable and reduces clutter. Usually it performs a little better too.
If you have 16 circuits going to the same room, that's where a subpanel should have been.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: