Looking for receptacles at 90 degrees

Old 03-24-06, 01:39 PM
Looking for receptacles at 90 degrees

I'm looking for a duplex receptacle that can be positioned in the horizontal orientation (that is, with the 2 outlets left and right of each other, instead of above and below), but with the ground pin/hole being the upper pin/hole (some people might prefer it to be down), instead of having it on the left as would normally be done with a duplex in the horizontal orientation (some people might turn it to the right).

This should fit the standard box frame (obviously mounted horizontal) used in the USA, but using either the traditional (two holes with two flat edges each) or the decorator (one big rectangular hole) style plates would be preferred.

I could use a pair of single receptacles in a 4x4 box and a plate for 2 singles. But that just wouldn't be as compact; it would not look nice, in my opinion.

The horizontal orientation is common in Europe. I do recall seeing such a receptacle on a British supplier web site once with the American outlet configuration (NEMA 5-15R). But it had British, not American (e.g. UL) safety listings, and I'm sure it was designed to fit the British mountings (which I presume are different than American).

Anyone ever see anything like this available in the USA?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-06, 03:29 PM
Look in the Hubbel, Pass&Seymour, and Leviton catalogs. They have all sorts of things.

Old 03-24-06, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by classicsat
Look in the Hubbel, Pass&Seymour, and Leviton catalogs. They have all sorts of things.
Been there, done that. Also looked at Cooper.

Old 03-24-06, 08:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just for grins.....why? Sounds like alot of trouble just to look European.

Old 03-24-06, 08:32 PM
Will a GFCI receptical work? I know I've seen them as you describe.

I found this online, FWIW:

http://jazzsales.com/details.php?ite...536b465a176c2d

Not very helpful, but at least it tells you they exist...Again, I am 99.9% positive I have seen GFCI recepticals with this layout.

Old 03-24-06, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by chandler
Just for grins.....why? Sounds like alot of trouble just to look European.
It's not about trying to look European. It's more about practicality. A horizontal orientation is a little easier to work with in usage because you don't have one plug over another. It also fits in some places that vertical won't.

Old 03-24-06, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by chirkware
Will a GFCI receptical work? I know I've seen them as you describe.

I found this online, FWIW:

http://jazzsales.com/details.php?ite...536b465a176c2d

Not very helpful, but at least it tells you they exist...Again, I am 99.9% positive I have seen GFCI recepticals with this layout.
Yeah, a GFCI could be useful for the kitchen and bathroom. Not much need for horizontal in the bathroom, but the kitchen could very well need them where there is a short riser counter and the receptacles go underneath. Otherwise I could put 2 normal verticals beside each other and get the same effect for 2 of the 4 outlets ... in the kitchen. But in some other places where GFCI is not required, it can still be OK.

Old 03-25-06, 06:33 AM
Your idea makes sense, practically and aesthetically. These would work better in a lot of applications. For example, when gripping a 180-degree plug it's easier on my index finger and easier to grip if I can grab the plug when the ground pin is on the bottom rather than the side or the top. Too bad I've oriented most of the receps in my house with the ground pin up!

I used to have an apartment about ten years ago with a duplex GFCI oriented like the posted link. Slater comes to mind as the mfgr. but don't quote me on that.

Sorry I have no hints on non-GFCIs. Have you asked at the local wholesaler?

Old 03-25-06, 07:36 AM
Wink

Who grips a plug? Doesn't everyone just grab the cord and yank?

Old 03-25-06, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
Who grips a plug? Doesn't everyone just grab the cord and yank?
I was thinking of how to make the outlets "orientation neutral". Ah ... Twist-Locks!

Old 03-25-06, 08:33 AM
Something to consider which was discussed in a thread a couple of weeks ago or so.
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...odel_AC315.htm

Old 03-25-06, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by ArgMeMatey
Something to consider which was discussed in a thread a couple of weeks ago or so.
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...odel_AC315.htm
I hope those things die an ugly death in the market. Besides, the ground pin on the upper outlet is turned the wrong way.

Leviton does make a 4 outlet device that has ground pins up on top and ground pins down on the bottom. But it isn't flush, so I wouldn't get that, either.

Cooper does have some special receptacles (surge protection and/or isolated ground) that would fit in decorator plates oriented horizontal and let me have the ground pins up.

It would be nice if these manufacturers had decent web sites. But none of them do. Pass & Seymour is the closest to decent, but they don't really have such a great product selection. So I can't easily show you what I have found in the PDF catalogs I luckily did manage to find (which in some cases was a huge chore just to get to that).

Old 03-25-06, 03:25 PM
????? Most small kitchen appliances are 2 wire any way. So why not horizontal "typical" devices?

Old 03-25-06, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Skapare
Besides, the ground pin on the upper outlet is turned the wrong way.
"Turned the wrong way" for what? Please don't get the debate started about which orientation is correct. There is no correct orientation for a receptacle. The ground can be up, down, right or left and still be correct.

Old 03-25-06, 03:45 PM
Racraft, YOU started it !! I just said "horizontal", not even left or RIGHT.

Old 03-25-06, 05:18 PM
How about 360 degrees??
Just read about these in a trade mag.: http://www.360electrical.com/

Old 03-25-06, 05:28 PM
----briliant!!-----