The saga continues

Old 03-24-06, 03:50 PM
The saga continues

Ok...... I picked up a new 40 circuit 200A subpanel to replace my too small 30. The wiring coming into the existing mostly comes in thru a large (2") knock-out with no bushing, conduit, etc. Since it is romex, I know conduit is not needed. What type of bushing should I use to protect the wires AND pass NEC ??? Metal ?? PVC ?? Since I have to completly un-wire 30 circuits and rewire, I want to get this right......... Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-06, 04:53 PM
> What type of bushing should I use to protect the wires?

This is debatable. The old one is clearly wrong.

Some folks just use a stub of plastic conduit connected by a big box connector.

Others have pointed out that this does not close the opening adequately as required to prevent fishing into the panel.

I haven't seen anyone argue with with 15+ NM box connectors.
It's easiest if you fill them from back to front.

Do you have a photo of how it looks now?

Old 03-24-06, 10:05 PM
No photo but I can take one Sat. Some of the NM wire is in NM clamps but some of the clamps have 2 or 3 cables in one clamp. I understand that wont fly with the inspector. I know they make a PVC bushing and have seen metal ones in older installs and they were grounded to the box. With about 30 to 32 12-2 and 12-3 cables, I can probably fill a 2" bushing to the point that you cant fish thru it. That may be the best solution. I hate punchin out all those 1/2" holes and I would be all over the box. Thanks again for your help bolide! I really appreciate the time taken to answer me. When it comes to doing projects i'm not a perfect idiot. No one is perfect! lol