tub GFI

Old 03-25-06, 03:43 PM
tub GFI

i am attempting to install a tub with water jets...the instructions say i need a dedicated 15 amp circuit with a GFI...my question is this....as the gfi should not be needed (likely) unless a leak occurs in the plumbing...... can i install a GFI breaker in the panel?... or is it a must that it must be say..inside the access panel of the wall?...the wires coming from the motor have no plug on them so i was considering using a junction box with a cover inside the access panel and install a GFI breaker in the panel i think you are reading what i wanted to say..i just hope you understand it the way i think i typed it..lol

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-06, 04:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
GFI protection can be anywhere in the circuit, either at the panel or at the point of use.

There are deadfront GFI devices that can be installed on the wall so that you do not need to remove the skirt should the unit trip.

Old 03-25-06, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A GFCI breaker would be fine. You should install a service switch/receptical though.
For "Justin"(just in case).

Old 03-25-06, 06:33 PM
thank you both

Old 03-26-06, 05:36 AM
one more question

upon investigating above teh false ceiling to run a dedicated 15 amp for this new tub..i found a junction box with a 12/3 wire capped off and marked "bathroom heater" ....there was a small baseboard heater in thehouse years ago, since converting to wood heat i unhooked it and forgot about it...could i use say just the black white and ground and go on from here to the new tub and at the panel cut the red wire off and (these wires are now rolled up outside the panel) reinsert into a 15 amp GFI? is this junction box above the false ceiling even legal

when i removed the heater years ago i put the box there just so no wires would be exsposed and pulled them from the panel as well, and the false ceiling was added later (basement)

thanks for helping me out

Old 03-26-06, 06:18 AM
The answer to you using existing wiring depends on what you mean by false ceiling. Any and all live junction boxes must be permanently accessible. This means that you need to be able to get into the junction box without removing any part of the structure.

If by false ceiling you mean a suspended ceiling with removable panels then you are fine. However, a junction box behind a sheet rocked ceiling is not allowed. However, if this box is in the (unfinished) attic or if you want the box to be accessible through the ceiling then you can do so.

I don't recommend cutting any unused wires in a cable assembly. Put a wire nut over the unused wire and push it out of the way. You may want it some day.

Old 03-26-06, 08:28 AM
pardon my explanation..i do mean a ceiling with removable panels..as for the wire nut on the unused wire...what would i do at the panel...keep the unused wire outside the panel with a wire nut over it or inside the panel?

Old 03-26-06, 08:59 AM
Keep the unused red wire inside the main panel and inside the junction box above the suspended ceiling. You can't do otherwise without destroying the cable.

Old 03-26-06, 03:12 PM
gotcha..thanks again