Knob and tube wiring for ceiling fan box?

Old 03-25-06, 06:24 PM
Knob and tube wiring for ceiling fan box?

Hi

Have old house, most has been replaced with modern wiring but ceiling fixtures on top floor (under attic) still have knob and tube wiring.

I want to add a ceiling fan in one room on this floor, and will need to replace a simple lighting fixture. Would also need to add a ceiling fan box to support weight.

Just wondering whether there is anything to watch out for given the box and knob-tube wiring issue. Any special kind of box to use for this? About bringing in the 2 wires into the box? Anything special to worry about bracing the box between the joists? The fan of course has 3 wires - can I ground the green wire?

I've done lots of searches, but havent found anything warning anything related to this.

thanks,
scott

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-06, 08:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
>Have old house, most has been replaced with modern wiring but ceiling fixtures on top floor (under attic) still have knob and tube wiring.

I want to add a ceiling fan in one room on this floor, and will need to replace a simple lighting fixture. Would also need to add a ceiling fan box to support weight.

Just wondering whether there is anything to watch out for given the box and knob-tube wiring issue. Any special kind of box to use for this? About bringing in the 2 wires into the box? Anything special to worry about bracing the box between the joists? The fan of course has 3 wires - can I ground the green wire?

I've done lots of searches, but havent found anything warning anything related to this.<

This is a tough one.
Yes you must replace the ceiling box to one rated for fan use. There are several on the market, Go to a hardware retailer and find the one that suits your needs best. That was the easy one.
Is there any way you could get a new ckt to this location? That would be the best solution.
With Knob & tube you have no ground. You would have to Identify the neutral and hot wire from the existing wires. Each conductor would have to be insulated and secured, as it enters the box.

It can be done, I would not want it done. Lets see if others have more input for you on this.

Old 03-25-06, 10:19 PM
Thumbs down

This should not be done.
It's time to update the wiring on this circuit.

Old 03-26-06, 05:36 AM
Replacing the box means replacing the wire feeding it. Go at least as far back as the las box, perhaps even further.

Old 03-26-06, 06:30 AM
All

sincere thanks for the replies. sounds like my concern is justified.

I have been in the attic and know its all knob and tube to second floor ceiling light fixtures. We moved in 2 years ago, and there is already a fan in another room (from before we moved in) - anything I should check on that before going further?

I'm of course with all of you about running new wires. My wife wants the fan badly, maybe this is my excuse to get the wiring cleaned up..