HELP! I've tried everything and still no power!

Old 03-25-06, 07:36 PM
HELP! I've tried everything and still no power!

ok my brother turned on the tv and we lost power to a power receptecle in the wall another on a connecting wall and the light switches on the opposite wall of those receptecles. I have had problems with these types of receptecles before and had to replace them. So I replaced the the ones that suddenly stopped getting power and that didn't work, still no power. The circuit breaker was not tripped and I reset all of them and still no power. I checked with a multimeter and every breaker still works. so power is going in the house but not getting to the receptecles. When I checked them, they only have 1.3 volts of power as compared to the 113 that the rest of the receptecles in the house have. By the way its in an 80's built mobile home.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-06, 07:43 PM
Check all the devices(receptacles, lights, switches) on the circuit, even the working ones for loose connections. Since you mention mobile home also look for a place where cables might be plugged together. I have heard but not seen in person of mobile homes having plug connection points somewhere in the house, possibly under the house or in a junction box on the outside.

Old 03-25-06, 07:45 PM
well the strangest thing is the power went out only afte the tv was turned on.

Old 03-25-06, 08:05 PM
oh yeah, these receptacles are switched. I haven't even check to see if that was causing the problem yet.

Old 03-25-06, 08:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unplug the TV. It's no good for you anyway.

Old 03-25-06, 08:57 PM
everything is unlplugged

Old 03-25-06, 09:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey Red, Did you try the switch yet?
With the 1.3 volts (from neutral or hot to ground) neutral is the large slot,What you describe, this sounds like an open "hot"
wire. The surge of power turning on the TV could have opened a bad connection. You must identify the affected ckt, Then SHUT IT OFF! Now you must open the outlets affected, carefully noteing where each wire goes to any particular device. If rec are back stabbed, change them so they are wrapped around the screw. At each outlet connection FIRMLY tug on it, if it pulls out redo it. While you have them out redo them as described above. Good luck.