mounting boxes on top of attic joists

Old 03-26-06, 02:52 PM
mounting boxes on top of attic joists

Thinking about how to make my rewire job easier.

It would be a lot easier to install the boxes on top of the joists, opposed to the sides. Easier to attach, ground, and connect the cable. I'd still run the cables on the sides of the joists, leaving a little slack (I'm sure there is a minimum length) coming from the box. So only the box would be on the joist.

The attic is unfinished, and will never be finished. It's small, cramped, and rather hard to maneuver. Of course I'll use the minimum boxes necessary, and be sure not to crowd them in one place, as to ensure that if I, or the next owner, decided to climb around up there, there will be plenty of room.

This makes sense to me especially when I think about the drops that will be on the outer walls/top plate; i.e. right on the roof line. Cramped areas like that, it would be so much easier to just place the box on top. And there is no way anyone could ever step on it, as there is no room to walk in that area anyway.

Just thinking of ways to make the job easier. Does the NEC state a requirement, or is it similar to running cable in unfinished walls; some wiggle room.

Thanks all !

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-06, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I personaly would avoid any more junctions than needed. Every junction is a potential failure.
If at all possable I would recomend trying to get each wire to the final destination, and keep all splices in the device boxes. As much as practical. Yes you can mount your "JB" on the joists as you describe, Try to keep them acesable so you can work on them with limited difficulty. Keep it safe to work on.

Old 03-26-06, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
I personaly would avoid any more junctions than needed. Every junction is a potential failure.
If at all possable I would recomend trying to get each wire to the final destination, and keep all splices in the device boxes. As much as practical. Yes you can mount your "JB" on the joists as you describe, Try to keep them acesable so you can work on them with limited difficulty. Keep it safe to work on.
Absolutely. The fewer the better.

Thanks.

Old 03-26-06, 04:53 PM
So to minimize JB's, in the proper way to say, wire an entire room of receptacles, to start with one receptacle and drop two wires down, connect both to the receptacle. Then do the same thing for the remaining ones? In other words, wire them in series, rather than in parallel (by using JB's to tap into the homerun)? Seems much easier.

Wondering how the pros do it.

Thanks.

Old 03-26-06, 05:17 PM
Yes, wire from one receptacle to the next, to the next. Do not place junction boxes in the attic, basement, or anywhere else unless you absolutely have to.

Old 03-26-06, 05:44 PM
great. Thanks !

Old 03-26-06, 07:57 PM
ok another question. For existing K&T, was there a drop for each receptacle from the attic, or was there one drop per room (let's say) and the rest of the receptacles in that room were connected in parallel, but thru the wall studs? The easy way to find this out would be to simply look at an existing receptacle to see how many connections are there, but maybe someone knows here. This would make the re-wire a lot easier if they where all dropped from the attic, because then I'd know what bay to drill down into.

Thanks.

Old 03-27-06, 03:22 PM
top thanks.

Old 03-28-06, 08:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Typicaly, What I have seen from "K&T". Is no ryme or reason to me. There was a system in place at the time. But most likely you will find all and most junctions solderd in the wall, So when you think you have it all, YOU DON"T!!

Some will agree, some will disagree, The way I aproach this situation....
Find the ckt,Disconnect it, Then re-wire everything on it. Identify then reIdentify, then start Refeeding.

I'm not a technical writer, And the code is a BARE minium that you must meet.

Old 03-28-06, 08:27 PM
yep, no rhyme or reason is what I thought. Thanks.