Figuring out oven amps

Old 03-26-06, 03:45 PM
Figuring out oven amps

I am trying to figure out what breaker I need for an oven. The oven uses 2500 watts and the broiler uses 3000 watts. I will never use the broiler so how many amp breaker do I need??
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-06, 03:52 PM
The figures you have provided are meaningless. All that is important is what the manufacturer specifies. Check the installation manual provided with the unit. If you don't have it, get it. It is probably available on-line, or you can get it by calling the manufacturer. You may also be able to find it by checking the back of the unit.

Old 03-26-06, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The rating plate is likely in the door frame. Look for it and post what it says. You will see a voltage rating and most likely a KW rating.

Old 03-26-06, 05:25 PM
You definitely must use the breaker specified by the manufacter. It would not be proper at all to put in a smaller breaker on the theory that you don't use the broiler. Anyone, including you, might accidentally turn on the broiler, and then what!

Based on 5500 watts, that requires 23 amps and probably a 30 amp breaker may be specified. This assumes it is just an oven , and not a range with top burners. A range today will typically require a 40 or even 50 amp circuit.

Old 03-27-06, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by 594tough
You definitely must use the breaker specified by the manufacter. It would not be proper at all to put in a smaller breaker on the theory that you don't use the broiler. Anyone, including you, might accidentally turn on the broiler, and then what!

Based on 5500 watts, that requires 23 amps and probably a 30 amp breaker may be specified. This assumes it is just an oven , and not a range with top burners. A range today will typically require a 40 or even 50 amp circuit.
The oven will only be used for powder coating and the broiler will be disabled. Also the top burners will be disabled also. Thanks