Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Question about Aluminum Wiring/compatibility with newer light fixtures

Question about Aluminum Wiring/compatibility with newer light fixtures

Old 03-30-06, 06:27 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Question about Aluminum Wiring/compatibility with newer light fixtures

Hi there,

I'm considering buying a house with Aluminum wiring, and will likely be doing some remodelling if I do.

I'm pretty sure the house has aluminum wiring throughout. I was specifically considering installing recessed halogen pot lights in the kitchen. Are these newer type fixtures compatible with Al wire? I know that receptacles with screw-type fittings are not, and specially rated ones must be used in replacement projects...

Thanks!
Rob

Old 03-30-06, 07:15 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Aluminum branch wiring is not compatible with DIY.

Replace it.

Old 03-30-06, 07:22 AM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If the house has aluminum wiring it must be at least 12 awg no 14 awg. Insurance rates often times are higher for homes wired with aluminum... if the company is aware of it of course.
Aluminum wires present termination issues of compatiblity with copper wires. Special connectors are required for copper wires connecting to aluminum wires. As far as the fixture is concerned it doesnt care but the recessed fixture wires will require cu/al connectors usually requiring special application by a certified individual. Your typical wirenut is not acceptable. If your in Canada I believe the only compliant method is the coalum crimp.

Old 03-30-06, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Your other issue with the recessed lights is going to be that they require 90 degree C rated insulation. The aluminum cable will not have this rating and cannot be used.

The 90 degree rating became available around 1987, well past when aluminum wiring had stopped being used for branch circuits.

Old 03-30-06, 06:57 PM
R
I appreciate the responses!!! This is all valuable information. Looks like I'll have to completely replace the aluminum wire in the rooms I intend to renovate...

Thanks again!
Rob

Old 03-30-06, 08:53 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
USE This NO aluminium feed back, And buy down the price CONSIDERABLY. The whole house must be redone ETC.....

Good luck1

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: