can I add a sub panel to a full fuse panel?

Old 03-26-06, 05:44 PM
can I add a sub panel to a full fuse panel?

I am going to be moving into a townhouse and it hass an older panel that is completely full ( small one...only 1 row). All of the circuits are a heavy duty pull out type (for the kitchen stove, etc) and the last four spots on the panel are the individual glass fusees. I am used to circuit breakers, so am not sure whether a small sub panel could be added to it or not. I just want to have several extra outlets available in a small shop area I plan to set up. I have a bench top drill press, a table saw, and hope to add a radial arm saw as well. I don't want to just add a few outlets to the existing outlets since I have no idea of the load on them. A small sub panel with a few breakers would be perfect.

Thanks

T_B

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-06, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On the surface. it appears to be a 60A/220 v service. Perhaps a 100A. If you could let us know what the main ckt feeder is, We could assist you better. The top middle, fuse block should have this info.

Old 03-26-06, 06:14 PM
> A small sub panel with a few breakers would be perfect.

Actually, the closest start toward perfect would be a complete heavy-up to a 200A 40-space panel.

> heavy duty pull out type
What amperage?

Other than the stove and clothes dryer, what are the other 240V circuits?

For example, could you disconnect the water heater, put in a subpanel, change the fuses to 60A, and put the water heater in the subpanel?

Wolud you be willing to replace the cable to the stove with a safer cable?

Old 03-29-06, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by bolide
> A small sub panel with a few breakers would be perfect.

Actually, the closest start toward perfect would be a complete heavy-up to a 200A 40-space panel.

> heavy duty pull out type
What amperage?

Other than the stove and clothes dryer, what are the other 240V circuits?

For example, could you disconnect the water heater, put in a subpanel, change the fuses to 60A, and put the water heater in the subpanel?

Wolud you be willing to replace the cable to the stove with a safer cable?
I can't upgrade the panel to the large panel since I rent and they are ok with just a sub. It appears that the large pull out breakers are running the stove, hot water, dryer and the baseboard heaters thru-out the townhouse.

I will go and look at the panel again and see if I can get any info...if I take a pic of it could I post the pic in the forums here? Cuz maybe be able to get a close up where you could make out info on it.

Old 03-29-06, 09:22 PM
> It appears that the large pull out breakers are running the stove,
> hot water, dryer and the baseboard heaters thru-out the townhouse.

Either the WH or BH can probably be taken.
I would choose the WH on the grounds that you aren't likely to need hot water while working in the workshop.

But you'll probably get at best [email protected]

If you can move WH and BH both, that would give lot a better margin.
But you might not be able to get a longer fuse into the holder (30A are 2" and 35A and up are 3"). (A 3" space with 2" reducers can be returned to 3".)

> could I post the pic in the forums here?

No. There are other free places where you may upload it.

Old 03-30-06, 02:12 AM
so I would not be able to put circuit breakers in the sub panel then? Have to use fuse type?

Old 03-30-06, 04:46 AM
> so would I be able to put circuit breakers in the sub panel then?

Yes. The subpanel can use breakers.

All my remarks about fuses pertain to the service panel.

Old 03-30-06, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by tin_banger
I can't upgrade the panel to the large panel since I rent and they are ok with just a sub.
Disclaimer: I apologize in advance for beating this drum so frequently, and it's not my intention to undermine all DIY projects. It's just that two threads in close proximity bear similar advice, IMO.

In my state, you wouldn't be permitted to legally work on this yourself. Homeowners are allowed to do their own wiring, to their own house. The problem is, you are renting in a condo. If you make a mistake, you're not solely imperiling yourself, but your neighbors as well.

Why do you want to perform improvements to a rental?

That said, if you can proceed and wish to, I'd replace the panel with a new one with all circuit breakers. Then you can add your circuits as you see fit, without having to deal with the confines of an old box. IMO.