Old Wiring

Old 03-26-06, 08:03 PM
Old Wiring

HELLO ALL,
I'm rewiring my complete home updating service to 200 amps. (old is 60a w/knob & tube). Will i have to remove all old wiring after final inspection? No existing wiring will be used. I do plan to remove all old boxes & what wire is accessable after switching to new service. All walls & ceilings are going to be opened up due to a lot of plaster is loose & cracking. I know this is alot more work but will make wiring easier (three story home 3000 sq.ft.). One other question is furnace is being replaced & relocated out of basement (basement leaks water, old furnace failing due to moisture damage), new furnace will not be installed until next winter. Will furnace have to be in place for final inspection or will junction box for connection be ok?

thanxs.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-06, 08:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your updating your service, You will have to bring the ckts up to code, AFCI bedrms, GFCI-bath and kitchens etc. You won't have to change the wires, Just the protection of them.
The furnace? Your just doing the service now. However when your done the whole project... FINAL IS FINAL. But a JB should be good for ELECTRICAL. Building dept will need it for their final. And you may need an additional elec permit to finish it later. Try to work it out with the AHJ.

you don't have K&T to the panel now, do you? I've seen the armored cable out to a box then the K&T from there.

As soon as you touch/change a box, you must then bring the ckt to code.

Old 03-26-06, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
If your updating your service, You will have to bring the ckts up to code, AFCI bedrms, GFCI-bath and kitchens etc. You won't have to change the wires, Just the protection of them.
The furnace? Your just doing the service now. However when your done the whole project... FINAL IS FINAL. But a JB should be good for ELECTRICAL. Building dept will need it for their final. And you may need an additional elec permit to finish it later. Try to work it out with the AHJ.

you don't have K&T to the panel now, do you? I've seen the armored cable out to a box then the K&T from there.

As soon as you touch/change a box, you must then bring the ckt to code.
This may not be the case. In my city, if you update your service, you DON'T have to bring everything up to code. The inspector will only look at the install of the panel, and connection of the existing circuits.

Contact your city inspector and ask him/her what the scope of the inspection will be.

Old 03-26-06, 08:54 PM
Thanxs electrilee for info. This house is 100+ yrs. old. Most bedrooms only have one receptical & switch next to door. Kitchen only has two recpt. total not including the range. I plan to update all to code. As far as the main breaker box is concerned, some has older romax & some k & t coming out of it. The new panel will also be moved out of basement. You kind of lost me on some of your wording on the following statment:

"But a JB should be good for ELECTRICAL. Building dept will need it for their final. And you may need an additional elec permit to finish it later. Try to work it out with the AHJ."

What is "JB" & "AHJ". Sorry for not understanding this.

Old 03-26-06, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by oct3162
Will i have to remove all old wiring after final inspection? No existing wiring will be used.
Check with your local inspection office. Here all that is required is removing whatever is exposed. So for example I had to remove the BX stubs that came thru the floor to the j-boxes in the basement. All the BX under the attic floorboards is similarly cut off where I accessed it and it's otherwise still in the stud & joist bays.

Have fun.

Old 03-27-06, 03:42 PM
"JB" means junction box.

"AHJ" means Authority Having Jurisdiction or more plainly, your electrical (or building) inspector.