How much NM in conduit? + sideways boxes

Old 03-27-06, 08:03 AM
wgc
How much NM in conduit? + sideways boxes

I read here about not using NM in conduit for an entire run but that it's ok in short lengths for protection, so I wanted to get more specifics before planning out my garage project. Assuming 12-2, what size conduit can I use for one cable? 2 cables? Can I just run it inside ...
- from standard switch height to the ceiling?
- from standard (or a little higher) outlet height to the ceiling?
- across the ceiling of a one car garage?

On a different topic, but related to this project, is there such a thing as a "sideways" box? The plan would be to use steel boxes surface mounted to the concrete wall, maybe about 2-3 feet up. However the garage is narrow and I don't want to be running into the plug trying to walk by. I'd like to mount the boxes "sideways" so the plugs would stick out along the wall rather than in the way. I see switch boxes that seem like they could be mounted this way, but what about the faceplate? What's the best way to do something like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-06, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by wgc
I read here about not using NM in conduit for an entire run but that it's ok in short lengths for protection, so I wanted to get more specifics before planning out my garage project.
Previous code versions were ambiguous about NM in conduit, however 2005 has clarified that NM is allowed in conduit.

Assuming 12-2, what size conduit can I use for one cable? 2 cables?
For a short run 1/2" EMT is fine; 3/4" if you have trouble feeding the cable in. For long runs, the conduit fill rule for cables makes NM in conduit foolish.

- from standard switch height to the ceiling?
- from standard (or a little higher) outlet height to the ceiling?
- across the ceiling of a one car garage?
Yes. NM cable does not require protection in a garage ceiling.

Old 03-27-06, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks
Yes. NM cable does not require protection in a garage ceiling.
I wanted to clairify that running NM INSIDE a ceiling, i.e between the joists and behind the drywall, does not require protection. However, surface mounting the NM across the face of drywall requires protection.

I got the impression from wgc's post that he was going to surface mount the cable

Old 03-27-06, 10:45 AM
wgc
maybe

Originally Posted by scott e.
I wanted to clairify that running NM INSIDE a ceiling, i.e between the joists and behind the drywall, does not require protection. However, surface mounting the NM across the face of drywall requires protection.

I got the impression from wgc's post that he was going to surface mount the cable
I'm still trying to decide that. The garage ceiling is plaster, not open joists, although the attic above is not finished. Currently there is conduit from the swtch up into the ceiling, then unprotected NM above the plaster through the rafters to the light fixture. That appears to be fine, but I also want an outlet or two and wiring for a garage door opener. I prefer to do the same thing: conduit to the ceiling and regular wire runs above, but am wondering if all surface mount conduit is enough more convenient to do. Plus I may have a much shorter and easier run bringing a new circuit in from the basement next to the chimney (which would have to be surface mount up the concrete wall) rather than fishing it up a wall somewhere else, then running wire the entire length of the attic. On my last project, I was really unprepared for how difficult it is to cut the wire mesh in the plaster ceiling.