Sub=Panel Bonding

Old 03-27-06, 06:01 PM
Sub=Panel Bonding

I have a 400A entrance with two 200A sub-panels. Due to the length of 3 of my runs (150'+ ) I am installing a 100A sub-panel off one of the 200A sub-panels. I have bonded the grond to the box of box my 200A panels. Do I need to also bond the ground on the 100A sub sub-panel??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-06, 06:11 PM
Yes! The ground wire in the sub must be bonded to the box. The neturals however, do not get bonded to the ground or the box.

Old 03-27-06, 06:14 PM
The neutrals (white) have their own bar that is insulated from the box, so I will add a bar for the ground and grind a lil paint before I install......Thanks for the help.......

Old 03-27-06, 06:18 PM
If the bar you have is made for the panel you have, the screws that hold it in place are your bond. You will not need to grind anything.

Old 03-27-06, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Hooter
I have a 400A entrance with two 200A sub-panels. Due to the length of 3 of my runs (150'+ ) I am installing a 100A sub-panel off one of the 200A sub-panels. I have bonded the grond to the box of box my 200A panels. Do I need to also bond the ground on the 100A sub sub-panel??

I am confused when you write "I have bonded the grond to the box of box my 200A panels."

Are you confusing the equipment ground with the neutral lead/terminal? Neutral and equipment ground may ONLY be bonded at the service entrance according to the NEC. Your LOCAL code may say something different.

Generally speaking (there are exceptions) a sub-panel MAY NOT have the neutral bonded to the equipment ground. The neutral bus must be insulated and isolated from the frame of the enclosure and a separate "equipment ground bus" must be installed in the sub-panel and this equipment ground bus must be bonded to the enclosure AND to the equipment grounding bus of the originating panel. This connection of the equipment grounds between panels may (again, there are exceptions and local code must be followed) be made by continuous metallic conduit and/or a separate equipment grounding conductor.

Old 03-27-06, 06:40 PM
My sub-panels have passed inspection and I was required to "bond" the ground (bare wires) to the box. The neutrals are connected to the bar that is insulated from the box. I would be surprised if this is not to NEC since Phoenix required me to meet 1999 NEC.

Old 03-27-06, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Right
NEC calls for isolated neutral at subpanel and ground connected to enclosure