AC DC Power...

Old 03-28-06, 02:36 AM
AC DC Power...

I have a wireless router that i need to keep next to my phone line downstairs. It needs to be plugged in through AC to work. However, i do not have a plug socket near my phone. What is my sollution. I read about AC/DC adaptors. Would this be of any use?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-06, 04:05 AM
You have several options:

Move the router to a phone jack near a receptacle.

Install a receptacle near this phone jack.

Install a phone jack near a receptacle.

Old 03-28-06, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by thoford75
I have a wireless router that i need to keep next to my phone line downstairs. It needs to be plugged in through AC to work. However, i do not have a plug socket near my phone. What is my sollution. I read about AC/DC adaptors. Would this be of any use?
Here's a little, ah, info on the topic. http://www.sandman.com/telco.html

But seriously, I've got my AC adapters for cordless phones and routers throughout the house hooked up to a UPS in the basement. It's a fair amount of work. The only concern with my situation would be interference between AC low voltage and DSL and data lines in the same conduit, but it hasn't been a problem for me. Some devices send DC only thru the adapter cord so in that case that would not be a concern.

1. Get a suitable length of 18 or 16 AWG (for most houses) wire, preferably shielded I suppose, but I didn't bother with that.

2. Run the new wire between the AC outlet location and the phone jack location.

3. (This step will probably void your warranty): Unplug your router power supply, note the cord polarity, and cut the cord right in the middle, give or take.

4. Buy connectors if you wish. That will make it easier to abandon this arrangement or swap equipment in the future.

5. Strip the wires, and connect the two wires on the transformer to the new wire. On the other end, connect the two wires from the mfgr's connector to the new wire.

6. Verify correct wiring, plug in and turn on.