What Did I Do Now?

Old 03-28-06, 07:15 PM
stuemke
Visiting Guest
What Did I Do Now?

As was discussed in my other thread, I bought 14 gauge grounding wire (green insulated) and put a 6" piece from the grounding screw on the switch to the spun grounding wires in the back of my plastic recepticle box. I put on the last of the covers for the switches and outlets, went out to the garage, put the fuse back in position, and went back into the bedroom. I turned on the light switch...

And there we stood... in the dark.

I'm going to double-check all the connections, but I'm wondering if anyone has ideas of where I may have gone wrong. I labeled all the wires (ie. top, bottom, etc.) before tucking them in the boxes and then painting. When I installed the new switches and outlets, I made sure to put them back in the same spots (using the screws on the side and not the push pins on the back).

Any ideas will be appreciated! We're a little tired of not having light in that room (and in my adjacent bathroom, for that matter!!!).

Thanks.

-stuemke

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-06, 08:39 PM
Are you sure it is a ground screw, and not the common terminal on a 3-way switch?

Old 03-28-06, 08:41 PM
You might have a ground touching a hot screw, from pushing the conductors back into the boxes. Take the covers off, peek in with a flashlight, and make sure you don't have any grounds close to the back of the devices.

If you don't see anything, check to be sure you don't have a white and a black on the same side of one of the receptacles. It's an easy mistake to make if you get in a hurry.

Old 03-28-06, 08:53 PM
stuemke
Visiting Guest
Arrrrgh...

I just double checked every single switch and outlet in the room to make sure I had the black wires and white wires on the right sides, connected the right way, all green insulated wires grounded in the right spots, etc. I can't seem to find anything wrong.

My wife did mention that she thought she heard a sound from a wall switch (single-pole switch for a basic closet) when I threw the power back on from the garage. Maybe the ground touched a hot screw? Would that make a sound? Would it ruin the switch? Could it throw everything that far off?

Maybe I should use a power tester tool (ie. the little tool with two wires and a light) to see if I've got power coming in at all, and which recepticle it's coming in to.

Last question before I let y'all go for the night: does it make a difference which screws (top or bottom) you attach the wires to on the outlets? I thought it did, so I labeled them all before dismantling. Maybe I'm missing something basic.

I'll check on the power tomorrow. I'm too tired to do it tonight... and too **** frustrated! *sigh*

Have a great night, everyone!

-stuemke

Old 03-28-06, 10:55 PM
> My wife did mention that she thought she heard a sound from a
> wall switch (single-pole switch for a basic closet) when
> I threw the power back on from the garage.
> Maybe the ground touched a hot screw?

Maybe.

> Would that make a sound?

Yes.

> Would it ruin the switch?

Unlikely.

> Could it throw everything that far off?

Did the breaker trip?

> Maybe I should use a power tester tool

Yes.

> (ie. the little tool with two wires and a light)

Never saw one.

No, seriously, get the kind with just one rigid contact point.

> does it make a difference which screws (top or bottom)
> you attach the wires to on the outlets?

Not unles the tab is removed.
You probably didn't check that.

Old 03-29-06, 08:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
breaker test switch?

Did you install a new light fixture at the closet?
maybe you have the switch leg tied to the neutral and hot like a feed through device.
Then the switch would short the wires out when turned "on"
It happens ...