wire for a 30 amp breaker?

Old 03-29-06, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wire for a 30 amp breaker?

What wire would I use to wire a 30amp breaker?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-06, 06:58 AM
10 gauge, normally. What are you placing on the circuit?

Old 03-29-06, 07:16 AM
lsclark,

The other question you have asked recently is about placing receptacles from two different 15 amp circuits on a 30 amp breaker. We told you that you cannot do this.

I do not know if this question is related to that or not, but I hope not. You cannot place general purpose receptacles in your house on a 30 amp breaker, even if the wire size is appropriate. The receptacles that you presently have on 15 amp breakers need to remain on 15 amp breakers. You could go up to 20 amp breakers if you changed the wire size to 12 gage, but you cannot use a 30 amp breaker for these receptacles no matter what you do.

Old 03-29-06, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by racraft
lsclark,

The other question you have asked recently is about placing receptacles from two different 15 amp circuits on a 30 amp breaker. We told you that you cannot do this.

I do not know if this question is related to that or not, but I hope not. You cannot place general purpose receptacles in your house on a 30 amp breaker, even if the wire size is appropriate. The receptacles that you presently have on 15 amp breakers need to remain on 15 amp breakers. You could go up to 20 amp breakers if you changed the wire size to 12 gage, but you cannot use a 30 amp breaker for these receptacles no matter what you do.
Nope I am not putting those receptacles on that 30amp breaker. I am going to go with the slim 15amp breakers so I have room for the 30amp breaker. Thanks for the help

Old 03-29-06, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by eclipse
10 gauge, normally. What are you placing on the circuit?
I will be putting an oven on this. It is a small oven I am using just for powder coating. The range elements and the broiler are disconnected so there is no chance of using these.
thanks for the help.