Apprenticeship

Old 03-29-06, 01:02 PM
darinstarr
Visiting Guest
Apprenticeship

I have been considering a career change for several years, specifically in starting an apprenticeship as an electrician. While I have given it quite a bit of thought, I am only now approaching the point where I may have an 'opportunity' to do this (company I am currently with is not doing well) - so I haven't done much research on the actual process.

I understand things will be different from location to location - but generally speaking, what is the process like, and how can I prepare myself for it, should I decide to pull the trigger?

Thanks!

-Darin

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-06, 07:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Darin: Education is the key. Many community colleges offer courses on residential and commercial wiring. Although I did electrical work with my dad for years, I took a two year course and found out there was alot more to it than just running wires and bending conduit. You will sharpen your skills in triginometry, geometry, general math and you will learn the code. This is imperative to "knowing" what you are doing. Electrical work is rewarding. It is also hard work, so dig in, look at your options and go for it. Check with reputable electricians in your area to see if the job market is there. In our area it is quite viable for the right candidate. Good luck!