Stranded Wire

Old 03-29-06, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stranded Wire

I'm remodeling a kitchen where the owner did his own electric before I showed up. He ran a multi wire (split) circuit for the disposal and the dishwasher. He ran 3 conductor (w/g) stranded wire. I think this is a no-no. I haven't discussed it with him yet. Is this safe or allowed by code?
I think he's gonna be upset if we need to tear the walls apart again.

Thanks, Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-06, 03:27 PM
If he ran 14 gage wire for a 15 amp circuit or 12 gage wire for a 20 amp circuit, and if he ran the wire properly then all is well. What size is the wire, and how did he run it?

Old 03-29-06, 03:36 PM
It looks like 12 gauge, I'm not used to looking at stranded wire. I'll check it out. I don't think it is 14 but if it is, I'll change the breakers to 15 amp. It is ran properly. He ran it to a 4x4 box under the sink and to a switch box for the disposal.
As far as being O.K., that's good. But this is not recommended is it?

Thanks, Brian

Old 03-29-06, 03:47 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
I'm alarmed by the 12/3 stranded part. Is this NM cable??
The split circuit lowers voltage drop and saves a bit of wire. Perfectly acceptable. You do need to make positive that the correct breaker positions are used to pick up both 120v legs.

Old 03-29-06, 04:56 PM
Both stranded and solid wires and cables of the _appropriate ratings_ are safe and allowed by code. It is easier to work with because it is more flexible, costs a bit more, and you must be more careful making terminations. If the wire is appropriately rated, you can use it anywhere similarly rated solid wire is used.

However stranded NM cable in small sizes (10,12,14 ga) is _very_ uncommon, if it even exists. Stranded NM cable in these sizes is not sold in. I would be concerned that the cable use was some form of 'flexible cord' eg. extension cord material. Flexible cord is _not_ suitable for use as the permanent wiring in a structure. The wire itself is very finely stranded, and the cord is designed for flexibility where it will be seen in use, with a shorter expected life than wire permanently installed in the walls. I would confirm what type of cable was used prior to making any further judgements.

-Jon