Lost my grounds in outlets.

Old 03-29-06, 07:36 PM
Lost my grounds in outlets.

First time posting but have been using the information on this site for some time now.
The problem I have is I've just finished wiring my first complete home that I'm building and in the final inspection everything went well except I've got no grounds being registered on the inspectors meter in any of my outlets.
Briefly I've got a 200 amp panel in a pole barn that supplies a 100 amp panel in the house along with a 60 amp sub panel that supplies the basement.
Double ground rods at the 200 amp panel with neutral bonded. 100 amp panel has the ground and neutrals separated and the sub panel is the same way. Is there something that I'm missing. The outlets were the home run starts at shows a ground, but everything else downline shows no ground. I've ask some other electricians and they can't seem to get me in on the right track. I know this may a little short so any thing else I need to add to get me on the right would be vey helpfull. Thanks in advance.........Gordy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-06, 07:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are the grounds(BONDS) spliced thru at every junction? And if so are they connected to the devices?

Old 03-29-06, 07:49 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Can you explain?

Old 03-29-06, 07:57 PM
At the first outlet (receptical) you indicated you had a propper reading of a ground. Now at that receptical, there is a bare ground wire going to the next. ALL these bare wires must be terminated to each other,SECURELEY, AND the device.

Old 03-29-06, 08:03 PM
Yes they are. Originally the inspecter, at rough-in stage, told me NOT to bond the 200 amp panel and to bond the house panel. So in the beginning I had no grounds in ANY of the outlets. Now today after talking to some pros I bonded the 200 amp and separated the house panel and now have the gorund at the 1st outlet of the home run. That's where I'm at now. I'm certain that my problem is in the bonding since all outlets are showing no ground.

Old 03-29-06, 08:06 PM
Just re-read your post and are you saying the receptical need to be attached to the ground wire too and not just tied together?

Old 03-29-06, 08:22 PM
OK, Your service comes into the meter. 3 wire from the pole to the meter. a ground wire comes from the ground rods to the meter, tied into where the neutral goes. In the basement, a ground wire goes from neutral buss to the water main and jumps the meter(water). Now to your 1st sub panel from the main panel you DO have 4 conductors, Right? And from the sub to the next sub you have 4 conductors, Right?

Now, where are these ungrounded outlets fed from? The main panel? one of the sub panels? If your first outlet has a ground ,and the others don't.
It most likely is that you did not carry the ground thru to the other outlets. They are wires, They need a connection to each other.

Old 04-09-06, 08:08 PM
Just thought I'd let you know that the problem I was having in the outlets are cured. When you mentioned make sure the ground wires were connected to the devices that's what made me look. The ground wire was connected at the 1st outlet (home run) but everything after that the grounds were only tied together and NOT attached to the ground screws. I know better than that, so I'm not sure what I was thinking? Thanks for the forum and thanks for the help. Passed inspection and finally got approval to move in. Thanks again Gordy......