Right way to remove knob and tube wiring

Old 03-30-06, 06:57 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Right way to remove knob and tube wiring

Is there a right way to remove a knob-and-tube branch? e.g. I have knob and tube wires running above my bathroom, and there's a branch that supplies the light for that bathroom. I want to replace that light switch with new Romex cable (from a new circuit), but I can't go and remove *all* the knob-and-tube, since it supplies other parts of the house.

Do I just cut the knob-and-tube wires where they were spliced, and wrap them up with electrical tape?

-Antun

Old 05-16-09, 10:40 AM
Bump - I'm curious about this too but looks like nobody knows the answer yet! I would suspect electrical tape isn't enough, i'd probably meret the end tightly, then tape that on, then tape that to the existing wire.

Old 05-16-09, 12:19 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Cut at both ends as short as possible and push into the stud space. If they are dead no need for wire-nuts.

Old 05-17-09, 04:30 PM
B
Originally Posted by antun

Do I just cut the knob-and-tube wires where they were spliced, and wrap them up with electrical tape?

-Antun
You can get to where they're spliced? I'm not a pro, but if possible I would terminate them in a junction box and leave the splice alone. Otherwise, I think your plan would work too. I'd use rubber tape.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: