Bathroom Circuit

Old 03-30-06, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Circuit

Hello. I have a question about my bathroom circuit. My house was built in 1975, and the bathroom is currrently on a 15A circuit (which I am assuming was code then). My city now uses the 2002 NEC.

Is it ok to leave it as 15A if I am not having any problems with the breaker tripping? Am I required to bring the bathroom up to code or can I change the lights and outlets without having to update the whole circuit? I would like to change the outlets to GFCI and change the vanity light. Eventually I will be replacing the floors as well.

If I do need to update the circuit, will I have to run new wires from the panel if they are not already 14 AWG?

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-30-06, 01:27 PM
R
Simply swapping out the receptacles for GFCI receptacles does not require that you bring the circuit up to code.

Swapping out the lights for new ones probably wouldn't either.

It is only significant or extensive remodeling that would require you to bring the bathroom up to code. Bringing up to code would require either a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the receptacles (in which case the circuit could serve only bathroom receptacles in any bathroom), or a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the entire bathroom (in which case the circuit could serve nothing else except this one bathroom).

A 20 amp circuit means 12 gage (or larger) wire. 14 gage wire cannot be on a 20 amp circuit.

Old 03-30-06, 01:34 PM
My mistake on 14 gage, I meant to say 12.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: