House electrical shut off when appliances is in use

Old 03-31-06, 10:32 AM
Question House electrical shut off when appliances is in use

HI everyone, I just found this forum, and I think its great.

I just bought a house and in two rooms the power line is really weak. A week ago I used a steam cleaner in the master bedroom, ran for about 3 minutes and the whole house shuts down. I had to reset the circuit breaker outside the house. The other day I hooked up a radio...a small boom box in another room and the same thing happen. In the living room however, I was able to use the steam cleaner all day long without any shut down. Does anyone know if this is a major problem, and how can I go about fixing it? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-06, 10:58 AM
Pains me to say it, but it sounds like a defective main breaker at your service. Does the handle feel really easy to reset, not requiring hardly any pressure to slide it off and on?

Old 03-31-06, 11:09 AM
Now that you brought to my attention. Yeah, its really easy to reset that thing. Sometimes I have a problem turning the breaker on, because it will not stick. If you flick it to the right it will jump back to the left...which is off. I would have to do it like 3 or 4 times for it to stick. Turning it off is extremely easy. Does this mean the breaker is bad? If so, how much is the breaker around and will it be hard to replace it? Im kind of a newbie, but I would like to learn.

I still have home insurance for a year, so its its something easy I would rather do it myself. Unless everyone recommend using the home insurance?

Old 03-31-06, 11:17 AM
(Just to be sure, you do turn the breaker all the way off, and then on, after it has tripped, correct?)

Can you post the brand of the equipment, the breaker rating, perhaps the part number, etc.

Is this breaker all on it's own in the box it resides in? If there are others, what is their location in relation to the main breaker?

How old is the house?

Give as detailed a description as you can.

Old 03-31-06, 11:51 AM
Unless you take an actual current reading on the main line you will not know for sure if it is tripping from overload or from defect.

Last edited by joed; 03-31-06 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-31-06, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by integra123
I still have home insurance for a year, so its its something easy I would rather do it myself. Unless everyone recommend using the home insurance?
A main breaker should be replaced by a professional electrician. The job cannot be done safely without removing the electrical meter, which is not safe for a homeowner to do.