Gfi

Old 04-01-06, 06:45 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gfi

i went ahead and ran my wires for a dedicated circuit for a water jet tub...i kiew i needed a GFI for this and wired for a GFI breaker in the panel...then a junction box behind the removable panel at the tub to wire in the motor and to a switch (just in case) on an ajoining wall....all good so far?....then i sent the wife on her weekly shopping spree and asked her to stop at the big box store and get a a "commander 15 amp single pole GFI"..she came home with a gfi receptical..the guy told her the gfi breakers are outdated...my question is am i now confronted with a gfi behind the removable panel or is a gfi breaker still found somewhere??

thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-06, 07:03 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The "guy" at the store has no clue (Typicaly). Yes you can get a GFCI breaker. You must know what panel you have and type.
Worse comes to worse... A GFCI receptical will do aswell.

Old 04-01-06, 07:42 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
To carry it one further, replacing a GFCI breaker that has gone bad costs more than $30, while the GFCI receptacle can cost as little as $10, and they serve the same purpose in relation to final protection. The breaker does give panel to receptacle protection whereas the GFCI receptacle protects itself and downline.

Old 04-02-06, 01:49 PM
B
thanks for the info both of you..i know that the panel breaker will be more money but i thought it might be easier to go downstairs and reset it than to get my old bones down on the floor and open the access panel and reset a gfi receptical....i guess it should never trip unless something goes wrong?..like plumbing leaks?

if you experts tell me the thing tripping will be few and far between i guess i could go with the receptical..by the way my old panel was a sylvania..now called commander i think

Old 04-02-06, 02:44 PM
What we do in new work is install the GFCI (preferably "dead front", meaning it has no receptacles, just the test and reset buttons) in a nearby closet, or in the bathroom. We then install a regular receptacle under the tub on the load side of the GFCI. That way, if it trips, you don't have to tax your old bones too much.

This tub does have a cord-and-plug connection, doesn't it?

Old 04-02-06, 04:04 PM
B
rocky...the motor came with just a cord and no plug on it..but it is soft cord like an extension cord so i can put a plug on it
it is three wire stranded copper with a soft black rubbery coating

what do you mean dead front.....there is a special cover so you can't see the receptical holes...or there is a gfi built with no receptical in it....

you can tell im no electrician....

Old 04-02-06, 06:46 PM
> it is soft cord like an extension cord so i can put a plug on it

What does the manufacturer say?

> what do you mean dead front?
> a gfi built with no receptacle in it....

Correct.

Old 04-02-06, 07:35 PM
C
Originally Posted by bolide
>

> what do you mean dead front?
> a gfi built with no receptacle in it....
A single gang type GFCI with a blank face. --Common at many whirlpool installs.

Old 04-02-06, 07:50 PM
L
?? Would/does this count as "disconnecting means" ?? I did not notice if it was stated that there was an ON/OFF switch.

Old 04-02-06, 08:03 PM
B
there is a switch on the tub..off and three speeds..i was planning on (as suggested earlier) puting a switch on an ajacent wall that would control power to the motor ..but now if i use one of these no face gfi should the switch be before the gfi or after it and before the motor..or does it matter?

as for the plug or not al it says in the paperwork is ...in the usa and canada this unit must be connected to a class a GF circuit

it does say...some modelsl come with a plug (not this one)

Old 04-02-06, 08:22 PM
>... a switch on an adjacent wall that would control power
> to the motor ..but now if i use one of these no face gfi
> should the switch be before the gfi or after it

After (downstream).

> and before the motor..

Always.

> or does it matter?

Technically no.

But the GFCI protection is not in effect except on its LOAD side.

Old 04-02-06, 08:26 PM
L
In My estimation All You need is a "DISCONNECTING MEANS", So before or after the GFCI should not matter. This disconnect serves as a service or emergency disconnect.
PLEASE just research and don't cut corners. Its worth EVERY penney to do it right. The life you save may be your own!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

Old 04-02-06, 09:05 PM
I would install the dead front GFCI where you were planning for the switch (as in, lose the switch), install a cord end on the cord, and use the cord-and-plug connection as the disconnecting means. In the event of swapping out the motor, it would make it easier to have a receptacle under there as opposed to having to fumble with a cover and j-box.

Technically, the dead front GFCI is labelled as a switch. At least the Coopers are.

Old 04-03-06, 04:52 PM
B
ok...new plan based on help here.. dedicated 15 amp service to fancy dead front GFI in ajoining wall...then to a regular outlet inside the service panel below the tub...3 prong plug wired to the cord of the motor..done deal...yes?

inspector will buy this in ontario canada?