How to detect the layout of a dead circuit?

Old 04-03-06, 07:47 AM
How to detect the layout of a dead circuit?

My friend has a dead GFCI recapticle in his bathroom. I opened it and found no power is supplied. But all the wires on the service panel has power. We know it probably goes to one of the recapticle boxes of the kitchen next to it. But we simply do not know how to trace it. We obviously do not want to open the wall and some of it is covered by ceramic tiles.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-06, 08:24 AM
No it probably does not go to the kitchen. bathrooms and kitchens are not generally on the same circuit. Depending on when the house or when it was remodeled (if it was brought up to code when remodeled), check other bathrooms, the garage, the basement, outside, and the garage.

As you have discovered, the time to determine your circuit layout is BEFORE you have a problem. Shame on your friend for not having done this.

What you have to do is determine what else in the house, if anything is without power. Check everything without power first. Then check EVERYTHING else in the house.

When you are all done and have fixed the problem, completely map out the house wiring. Not only is this information invaluable at a time like this, it could save your life.

Old 04-03-06, 08:48 AM
Thank you!

I checked the wire. It goes upto the attic, then down to the wall between the kitchen and the bathroom. Not sure if it goes around to another bathroom in the wall. I will check again in the other rooms.

I know it is killing me not to have a house wire mapping. There is even no any indication on the service panel as which wire goes to which room.

Is it possible I share the hot and neutral wire in the dual switch box close to the GFCI switch, and close out the dead wire. I notice there is still room to add a wire.

Old 04-03-06, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by lzhang
Is it possible I share the hot and neutral wire in the dual switch box close to the GFCI switch, and close out the dead wire. I notice there is still room to add a wire.
I don't know what you mean by this, but it doesn't sound good.

Find and fix the problem.

Old 04-03-06, 09:54 AM
I mean there is live wire inside the light and fan switch box, next to the GFCI recepticle. Can I rewire to that box, instead of installing a brand new wire to the panel in the garage downstairs?

Old 04-03-06, 10:02 AM
Find and fix the problem. Do not run a new wire.

Old 04-03-06, 10:15 AM
Thanks. I might eventually leave the headache to pros.