removing swtich from circuit

Old 04-03-06, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing swtich from circuit

Hello all. This is my first post. (if there was a 'welcome center' I didn't see it, my apoligies).

My fiancee and I just bought a house and have begun moving in.

The previous owner put in ALOT of switches in the house. At least 3+ per room. (this is a 1700 sq ft townhouse).

I'd like to remove some of the 'useless' switches that control an outlet.

Can I just kill the power via breaker box, open up the switch plate, pull out the switch, splice wires together using a wirenut and electrical tape, and then put it back?

Also, how should I go about covering the opening. Is there a 'blank' I can intert into the multi opening plate? Should I put in a small piece of sheetrock, spackle and paint over it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-06, 08:12 AM
Can I just kill the power via breaker box, open up the switch plate, pull out the switch, splice wires together using a wirenut and electrical tape, and then put it back?
Sure can, as long as there are only 2 wires (and possibly a ground) connected to the switch, just wire nut the 2 together (carefully push the ground wire into the back of the box). Skip the electrical tape. It isn't needed. If there are more wires connected to the switch, it's more complicated, but post back and we can tell you what to do.

Also, how should I go about covering the opening. Is there a 'blank' I can intert into the multi opening plate?
Yup, but it may need to be special ordered. Check with your local home improvement store.

Should I put in a small piece of sheetrock, spackle and paint over it?
Absolutely not. It has to remain accessable.

Doug M.

Old 04-03-06, 08:32 AM
By removing switches, you may violate code. The NEC (in the US) requires certain rooms to have either a hard-wired light controlled by a switch or a receptacle controlled by a switch (into which a light can be plugged).

I strongly suggest that you leave at least one receptacle in each room controlled by a switch.

I also suggest that you make detailed note of the original wiring before you make any changes. This way if you make a mistake you can go back to the beginning and start over, and more importantly you can put things back before you sell the place, especially if you create a code violation.

Old 04-03-06, 10:12 AM
Yes, I have been worried about the code violations. But if I don't do anything permanent, I can undo it all.

One thing I would like to do is to move the outlet controlling switch from the first accessible switch to the last, so no one would hit it.

I will give it an attempt tonight in one room to see how it goes.

//Offtopic: Thank you for your quick responses and help. I have a feeling this board is going to be a frequent visit spot for me.

I am a new homeowner, and a computer engineer by trade. I'm not dumb, but I'm not as knowledgable as I would like to be about home improvement and working with stuff.

So thanks again!