electric sliding gate

Old 04-03-06, 04:15 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
electric sliding gate

Thinking about putting an electric sliding gate in my back fence, so I can have alley access to my property. Anyone here ever had any experiences with these? Know of any good dealers?

Was wondering about different motor sizes and amperage requirements. Suppose that might depend on how big and heavy a gate I wanted to install.

Old 04-03-06, 07:45 PM
W
mmm?? okay, nobody has any info for me on electric sliding gates?

Old 04-04-06, 04:20 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Smile Electric Gate

You may want to start with your local chain link fencing dealer.
These are used in perimeter fencing at industrial locations.
If you have room to swing it, you may want to consider an automated swinging gate instead of a sliding gate. They should be less troublesome.

Old 04-04-06, 08:06 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In this area electric swinging gates are sold by the same companies that sell garage door openers. Sliding gates, I am not so sure about, but it's the same idea, just executed in chain link instead of decorative iron.

You could also check with some of those Home Automation sites.

Regarding motor load, a plumb & level gate should not require much more than the average spring-balanced garage door, so I doubt it would be anything more than a 15A or 20A. But I am just guessing.

Old 04-04-06, 08:47 PM
W
Thanks guys. I'll check around!

Old 04-05-06, 03:02 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You might also want to do an Internet search on plans for modifying a garage door opener to do this. I have seen how-tos on that. I can't say how well they work and there are obvious problems such as they would have to be protected from weather but it might be a lot cheaper then a commercial unit specifically made for that purpose.

On line you can find units for swinging the gate instead that start around $500. I installed one and it was easy to do. It actually worked on a battery and a low voltage cable supplied charging current from an indoor transformer.

Old 04-05-06, 09:35 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I used to volunteer at a historical museum that has a sliding gate. It was at least seven feet high (more likely eight feet high) and twelve feet or more in width. Heavy-duty industrial chain link. The opener on it had (as I recall) a 1/3 horsepower motor. It was on a 20-ampere circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: