400 amp upgrade

Old 04-04-06, 08:50 AM
400 amp upgrade

We want to convert our garage to a new room and had the electrician come over and give me an estimate. He did a load calculation and said we would have to upgrade to a 400 amp system. The 2 10K heat strips killed my 200 amp service. He said his work would be $1,500. I schedule an appointment for the electric company to cover over and give me an estimate in 2 weeks. Can you give me a ballpark figure? The line is buried and the transformer is about 50 ft from my meter.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-06, 01:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It depends a lot on your particular power company. Sometimes they provide everything up to and including your meter, sometimes you will have to buy all of the materials and they will cover the install (up to the meter), and sometimes the homeowner will have to foot the entire bill. Every power company has different policies when it comes to service entrances.

If you have conduit from the meter to the transformer, it could be a pretty simple job of pulling in new conductors and setting a new meter base. It is also possible that the power company will leave what you have in place; they use different rules for wire sizing and don't always have to upgrade the wires when increasing a service.

In my opinion, $1,500 is a pretty good price for a heavy up to a 400A service.

Old 04-04-06, 02:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
IMO, even at only 50' this is an extremely low price. Extremely.

$1500 is a typical 200 amp service change price. Let alone 400 amps, and underground.

Either he is not including something or is missing something in his quote.

Old 04-04-06, 04:52 PM
400 AMPS?? i will raise the red flag on this one becuse few thing what i can see here::

1] did the poco talk to you about changing underground cable[s] ?

2] what kind of materals he will set up for you ??

the new 400 amp breaker box is not cheap btw for my price for breaker box alone it will be over 600 bucks MIN price most useally are more.

how far the meter to breaker box it is ?? if under 6.5 or 2 metre away from meter socket there are few ways to set up the 400 amp service.

i just hope this guy is joking with 1500 bucks for 400 amp service that is ricious low.

check around and ask few sparkys [ electricicans ] they will tell the real price with 400 amp service your jaw will drop or

Merci , Marc

p.s. my price for 400 amp service is more than 3500 bucks btw

Old 04-04-06, 07:44 PM
In my neck of the country 400 amp meters do not exist. Anything over a 200 amp service will require the utility to install current transformers and then feed the panel(s) from that. The meter (a special transformer-type) will be connected to the current transformers.

Usually the utility will supply the current transformers but it is the responsibility of the customer to install the enclosure for the current transformers.

You may be able to feed your existing 200 amp panel and a "new" 200 amp panel directly from the current transformers.

Old 04-05-06, 04:40 AM
In most parts of the country it is becoming increasingly popular to install 400 amp services. Especially with today's ostentatious mini-mansions. It seems a couple with two kids needs to show the world how much debt they can actually go into just to live in a 4k-5k sq/ft home.

This being said, most 400 amp residential services are actually 320 amps. A 320 amp meter base uses a plug-in meter and usually feeds two full size 200 amp panels.
If the calculated load is under 320 amps this is a perfetly legal, safe, acceptable and common installation.

Old 04-05-06, 06:38 AM
400 amp upgrade

The upgrade is only for changing out the box and the box is less than 2 feet from the meter. The underground cable was what I wanted to know a ballpark figure. The bummer of this is that I had plenty of capacity until I took out my gaspack and installed a heat pump. My AC guy installed 2 10K heat strips.

Old 04-05-06, 06:50 AM
Was this nat gas? Why remove gas and install electric heat?
Central electric heat is, and alwayswill be, much more expensive than any fossil fuel.

Old 04-05-06, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by reefchow
The upgrade is only for changing out the box and the box is less than 2 feet from the meter. The underground cable was what I wanted to know a ballpark figure. The bummer of this is that I had plenty of capacity until I took out my gaspack and installed a heat pump. My AC guy installed 2 10K heat strips.
You need to get your serving utility on-board before you do any work. They (and they alone) will tell you if you need a new meter, base socket, service lateral (the line from the transformer) along with temporary service, timetable and what part of the job they will do vs. what you must do or have done.

Old 04-05-06, 01:58 PM
400 amp upgrade

Speedy Petey, the gas pack was LP. The cost to fill a 300 gal would range from $750-1,000 and we could easily use 3 tanks a season. My electric bill this season with a Trane 14 seer heat pump was max $350/mth. This includes about $250/mth to run some large marine aquariums (I have 2000 watts of lighting on one tank and 1000 on the other tank).

Thanks furd for the info. I just wanted to have an idea of what I was getting into before the appointment with the power co.

Old 08-18-07, 11:22 AM
Question Lmpops

Thanks To The Public Team

Your Data & Conversation On The 400 Amp Helped A Great Deal.

Now My "q"

Can I Dig The Trench, Install The Conduit Fom The Garage To The House? What Will I Need "other Than Sparky"
Nu Meter
Nu Pull Box

Nu What Ever

I'm In Detroit Mi