Dimmer switch problem

Old 04-04-06, 11:44 AM
Dimmer switch problem

I just installed new track lighting and a dimmer switch to go with it.I opened up an existing dimmer switch connection that was nearby and ran wires from that box to the new one. The problem is the new dimmer switch controls both fixtures now. When one is turned up the other one dims and vice a versa. What did I do wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-06, 11:56 AM
It sounds like you grabbed power from the output side of the dimmer, instead of the input side.

How many wires were in the dimmer switch box you tried to get power from, and how did you connect to them?

Old 04-04-06, 12:06 PM
There were two black wires that came from below that were hooked up to one side of the original dimmer switch and one blue wire that I assume came down from the original fixture that was connected to the other terminal on the original dimmer. I then proceeded to hook up one wire from the two black wire combo and one from the blue wire (neutral?) side to the new dimmer.

Old 04-04-06, 12:11 PM
You did not connect to the correct wires.

What OTHER wires were in the box? Were the two black wires connected to the same screw on the dimmer switch?

Old 04-04-06, 12:13 PM
Yes, one was live and one wasn't when I disconnected them and used a power tester.

Old 04-04-06, 12:26 PM
You did not connect to the correct wires.

What OTHER wires were in the box?

You connected to the input of the switch and the output of the switch. You need to connect to the input iof the switch and to a neutral.

Old 04-04-06, 12:32 PM
Which (color)one would be the neutral? I thought the blue wire from the original fixture to the original dimmer switch which was connected on the opposite side of the black wires was the neutral.

Old 04-04-06, 12:48 PM
A white wire would be a neutral. Except for specialty switches, neutral wires do not connect to switches.

Old 04-04-06, 12:53 PM
So what your saying is that the neutral from the new dimmer switch should go to the white neutral wires that are in the original box and that should fix the problem.

Old 04-04-06, 01:02 PM
And then the hot wire to the new light needs to go to the input side of the old dimmer switch, which is probably the black wires.

This, of course, assumes that you wired things properly to the new light.

Old 04-04-06, 01:50 PM
I hope I did that part right since the light did work and dimmmed too bad the old one did too. But really thanks for all your help that all makes sense now since that would complete the circuit back to the circuit breaker box.