Ran out of line on dedicated run

Old 04-04-06, 05:53 PM
Ran out of line on dedicated run

Hello, my name is Lance and I am a newbie to this site. I am able to wire to code most of the time but am confused by the lack of clear instruction offered for pool/hottub wiring out there. I am not sure if this has been asked before so here I go. Thank you for your time.
1)
I am running a 20 A dedicated run for a above ground pool pump. I am running 10/2 because the run is 150'. I ran 100' of 10/2 and ran out. I have 25' to go before I reach the outside wall. Is it legal codewise to put a junction box and continue the 25' to my GFCI? My father'in'law says "no" but I do'nt always buy what he says. If it is against code can I just put my GFCI on the ceiling and start the 25' to the outside kill switch?
2)
I am running 20' feet of conduitunderground to my twist lock 20A outlet. How do you put together metal conduit and how is it held together? what diameter do I need to hod the underground wires? I am running the three individual underground strands.
thanks,
Lance

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-06, 06:01 PM
Pool wiring is not easy.

You can put in a junction box, but any junction boxes must be permanently accessible. So in other words, they cannot be buried. Instead of a junction box, I would buy a larger spool of wire. Every junction is a potential failure point.
You cannot use 10/2, at least not outside. Everything outside must have an insulated ground wire. 10/2 cable is acceptable inside, but not outside.

Old 04-04-06, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Pool wiring is not easy.

You can put in a junction box, but any junction boxes must be permanently accessible. So in other words, they cannot be buried. Instead of a junction box, I would buy a larger spool of wire. Every junction is a potential failure point.
You cannot use 10/2, at least not outside. Everything outside must have an insulated ground wire. 10/2 cable is acceptable inside, but not outside.
What about the grey outdoor rated romex? is the cutoff at 12-2?

Old 04-04-06, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by BatMack
Hello, my name is Lance and I am a newbie to this site. I am able to wire to code most of the time but am confused by the lack of clear instruction offered for pool/hottub wiring out there. I am not sure if this has been asked before so here I go. Thank you for your time.
1)
I am running a 20 A dedicated run for a above ground pool pump. I am running 10/2 because the run is 150'. I ran 100' of 10/2 and ran out. I have 25' to go before I reach the outside wall. Is it legal codewise to put a junction box and continue the 25' to my GFCI? My father'in'law says "no" but I do'nt always buy what he says. If it is against code can I just put my GFCI on the ceiling and start the 25' to the outside kill switch?
2)
I am running 20' feet of conduitunderground to my twist lock 20A outlet. How do you put together metal conduit and how is it held together? what diameter do I need to hod the underground wires? I am running the three individual underground strands.
thanks,
Lance
ever think about using pvc conduit? easier to run and easier to seal

Old 04-04-06, 06:30 PM
> What about the grey outdoor rated romex?

UF cable for a pool? No.

Must be conductors in conduit (or MC cable).

Old 04-04-06, 06:39 PM
Thanks all so far. The junction box wouldn't be buried it would be along the run in my basement ceiling and visable, just insulation, water pipes, and other wire runs in that secction of the basement. I really don't want to redo the run because it was close to four hours from circuit breaker box and through two dropped ceilings through the holes of another run. A am having an electrician run the proper wire,conductors, through the conduit and ground the pool. I might go with PVC for the conduit. What diameter PVC or metal is standard to hold the three wires? What is used to hold the metal together?
Lance

Old 04-04-06, 10:19 PM
> The junction box ... would be along the run in my basement
> ceiling and visible

That's fine by Code. I suggest that you start the conduit from there to avoid extra connections. So use a box big enough for the conduit.

I don't understand why you would use the smallest possible cable when you are having to go to so much trouble.

Hard much harder could it have been to pull 10-3 or 8-3 to give yourself a little room for future expansion?

Maybe you need a subpanel at the far end of the basement?

> I really don't want to redo the run

You will "redo" in few years when you outgrow it. At least you'll wish that you had used something bigger.

> What diameter PVC or metal is standard to hold the three wires?

I have an idea. Use 1/2" PVC. That way when you want to upgrade to 8-3, you'll have to dig a new trench and buy new conduit.

> What is used to hold the metal together?
Couplings, of course.

Old 04-05-06, 10:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by BatMack
I am able to wire to code most of the time but am confused by the lack of clear instruction offered for pool/hottub wiring out there.
That's because pools and hot tubs are far too complicated to do correctly from some web page instructions. There are many details to consider.

How do you put together metal conduit and how is it held together?
Use 3/4" PVC conduit (RNC); schedule 80 on the vertical, schedule 40 on the horizontal underground. Glue it with proper sweeps and condulets; pull the wires in after the glue has cured.

I am running the three individual underground strands.
Have you accoutned for the code-required service receptacle in addition to the pump receptacle? You may want to consider a 20A multiwire circuit. You would need black, red (or black), white, and green #10 THWN conductors.

A am having an electrician run the proper wire,conductors, through the conduit and ground the pool.
You should ask him these questions -- few electricians will allow homeowners to do part of a job because ultimately it's his licence/insurance on the line if you screw up.

Old 04-05-06, 11:00 AM
Remember that the convenience receptacle must be within 20 feet of the closest edge of the pool, but not closer than 10 feet.

Old 04-05-06, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I already have a GFCI outlet less than 20' away on my backporch. I won't start the conduit from where the junction box is because i have another 20' to run before I get to the inner wall where the line will go outside. I'mgoing to put my GFCI button there, go through to the outside and put the visable, from the pump, on/off switch and then go down and that starts the conduit run. I won't outgrow the run for a while. I already have three sets of floods that already look over the area. I am not intending to add any more electrical components to the area and would much rather run a new line, at my leisure rather than now, I have to make sure the permits come through in time for the installer to put the pool up, finish the electrical, and have the water delivery and then set up the pool heater(wood burning). I already have a subpanel in that area that supplies my inlaw and maxed it out when I wired a 600 square foot bonus room above my garage.
thanks again,
Lance