fish tape

Old 04-05-06, 03:08 PM
fish tape

I've never used this. Can you feed it through 70 feet of 1/2 in PVC conduit without it bunching up. I tried electric fence wire, and boy howdy, I couldn't get that through the PVC more than about 30 feet, before it wouldn't go any more(binding). I'm wanting to fish coax cable through 70' of 1/2 inch PVC.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-06, 03:18 PM
I'm wanting to fish coax cable through 70' of 1/2 inch PVC.

yes real electrician fish tape will do the job far much better and i done alot pulls that go much as 150 feet or more.

the coax cable you will have no trouble but just get some wire " lube " you will find this in big box store or electrical supply centre it will make it more eaiser to pull

Merci , Marc

Old 04-05-06, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
An easier way would be to use a mouse, nylon line and a vacuum cleaner. Tie the "mouse", which is a fluffy looking thing with an attachment means at one end. Tie your nylon string to it, insert it into the conduit, and vacuum it out the other end. Tie your coax to the string and pull it through.

Old 04-05-06, 04:47 PM
Now, you're thinking, "Jeez, I don't want to go buy a mouse from some supply house, that costs money!"

I hear you!

Use a plastic shopping sack. It takes a little practice to get the wad just right, but the sack is free and you can experiment forever for free.

Don't make a "parachute", it's more trouble than it's worth. Use a badminton birdie as your inspiration: fluffy on one end, and tie the line to the other end. Make it fluffy enough to catch a lot of air, but not so fluffy that it makes a lot of friction against the walls of the pipe.

Use a wet/dry shopvac for outdoor locations, conduits can get water in them fairly easily, especially if they sit for a while.

Old 04-06-06, 04:05 AM
Wow, those are some creative ideas. Turns out, I went to Har. Fr. and bought a 100' tape for 10 bucks. Never used one before, but they sure do work well. Didn't even have to use pulling "lube." Got her all done and buried in the ground, in conduit, then enjoyed a bit of Pulp Fiction, in my new garage.
Ah, life is good.

Old 04-06-06, 04:50 PM
willg 54;

I am glad you reply here with the result what ya been doing and i am glad we can help you with this project.

keep in your mind there are few other idea what electricians been doing with some super long runs. some runs ya cant belive how we get it.

Merci , Marc

Old 04-07-06, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by french277V
other idea what electricians been doing with some super long runs. some runs ya cant belive how we get it.

Merci , Marc
I've seen the low-bidders use an F250 cable puller on .625 and .500 hard-line coaxial. Works OK if the cable doesn't get hung up on something, but about 3' is wasted wrapping it around the bumper.