Light placement vis a vis S3s'

Old 04-06-06, 01:12 PM
vmweenie
Visiting Guest
Light placement vis a vis S3s'

In "Wiring a House" (Rex Caulfield I think, Taunton Press) he says to always put the light(s) "between" S3's Do you agree?

During my live-in reno, I found it easier at times to put the lights at the end, mostly because of the order I wanted to tear into (or tear out) walls and such. In new work, it's easy to plan the layout with lights between switches but why do it that way? What's the reasoning behind it? Why not power through the light? Or put the light at the end? Or... well whatever.

PS - The book was way helpful; though it has a few gaps. I'd give it **** (out of five).

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-06, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it is easier to keep straight by wiring it as follows: power in to S1, 3 wire to 2nd sw, 2 wire to fixture.

This way keeps the colors straight through and the Common wire is easy to pick out.

Old 04-06-06, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by vmweenie
In "Wiring a House" (Rex Caulfield I think, Taunton Press) he says to always put the light(s) "between" S3's Do you agree?

During my live-in reno, I found it easier at times to put the lights at the end, mostly because of the order I wanted to tear into (or tear out) walls and such. In new work, it's easy to plan the layout with lights between switches but why do it that way? What's the reasoning behind it? Why not power through the light? Or put the light at the end? Or... well whatever.

PS - The book was way helpful; though it has a few gaps. I'd give it **** (out of five).
Do I agree? No. There are at least eight different ways to do it. No one way is better than the other. Some are easier to understand for the lay person, but none are better than the other. Which way to do it depends on the room layout.

Old 04-06-06, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Switch first, then load

I consider cutting and splicing three way travelers poor practice and recommend against it