Mechanical Room GFCI

Old 04-07-06, 12:20 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mechanical Room GFCI

I want to add a convenience recpetacle in my mechnical room. The room houses the gas fired water heater, the gas furnace and blower coil. Do I need a GFCI because of the water heater? This new receptacle will be on the end of a circuit that also serves the adjacent family room receptacles. Is this allowed?

Old 04-07-06, 12:43 PM
R
Originally Posted by Kathristin
Do I need a GFCI because of the water heater?
No. For whatever reason you, and many others, mistakenly think that a GFCI receptacle is required when in the vicinity of water. It is not.

But you probably do need a GFCI receptacle. Unless this room is finished, and I have seen very few mechanical rooms that are finished, a GFCI receptacle is needed if this is in or part of the basement.

Old 04-07-06, 12:49 PM
K
This is a ground floor mechanical room, more of a utility closet actually, but large enough to walk around in. The wall the receptacle will be installed is sheetrocked.

Old 04-07-06, 12:51 PM
R
What is the receptacle for? I would probably GFCI it, unless it is for a specific purpose.

Old 04-07-06, 12:59 PM
K
Or cables for the cable TV and modem come into the mech room and we have a signal booster that needs power. That is all the receptacle will be used for.

Old 04-07-06, 01:29 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
From what you have described a GFCI receptacle is not required, but wouldn't be a bad idea.

This new receptacle will be on the end of a circuit that also serves the adjacent family room receptacles. Is this allowed?
So long as your family room circuit is not already overloaded. If you are just plugging in a DC wallwart, you're okay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: