ceiling fan and light

Old 04-08-06, 03:10 PM
ceiling fan and light

i bought a new ceiling fan and light combo. the light works but the fan doesn't. it is on an existing dial switch that was used for the old light fixture and it worked fine. any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-06, 03:36 PM
If you mean a dimmer when you "dial switch" then you have an immediate problem. You will damage the fan using a dimmer.

As for the wiring, did you wire up both the fan and the light to work?

Depending on the wiring, you have several options.

Wire so that the fan is always live (control it with the pull chain) and leave the light switched.

Use a remote control for fan and light.

Rewire so that you have two switches, one for the fan and one for the light.

Also, if the box you attached the fan.light to is not designed for a fan then you need to replace the box. Using a non-fan rated box will cause the fan pull the box right out of the ceiling, allowing it to fall and possibly hurt someone or cause a fire.

Old 04-08-06, 03:52 PM
ceiling fan and light

the fan and the light are pre wired to both work on the same hook up . there are only 3 wire coming out of the top of the fan for hookup. i took the light off and inspected and it is all factory prewired together. yes i used a 35# rated box and brace, braced betwen the upstairs floor joists.

Old 04-08-06, 04:13 PM
Fine, it sounds like the junction box is rated for a fan.

You either need to change the wiring or get rid of the dimmer and use a regular switch. You may have already damaged the fan motor.

Old 04-08-06, 06:34 PM
ceiling light and fan

i don't mean to question you, since i am by no means a professional, but i have 3 other fan light combos and all of them are on dimmers and have had no problem w/ any of them in the 4 years that i have lived here. yet i didn't install any of them either. i did some research and it said " if you reduce the voltage of a fan, it may cause the motor to overheat and it can cause damage to the fan. my rationalization is that it never worked at all.. anyother ideas? ...thx for your input.

Last edited by edmond1969; 04-08-06 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-08-06, 06:35 PM
ceiling light and fan

i changed to a regular switch... it didn't help.

Old 04-08-06, 07:16 PM
Does the fan have chains? If so, then the pattern is generally
  • Off
  • High
  • Medium
  • Low
So it could be "off" at the chain switch. Pull it once, make sure the power's on, and it should spin.

You can use dimmers on your lights, but not the fan motor. You will damage the motor. There are fan-speed controls you can use, which operate correctly when the fan's chain-switch is in "High" mode. They can look similar to dimmers.

If you have a "two-wire plus ground" supply at the box, you can't use a dimmer at the wall switch. You have to do something else. You have options, racraft has given you some.

It sounds like you might have inspected the wiring and seen what you wanted to see; I don't recall seeing a ceiling fan wired from the factory with the light kit and the fan motor already wirenutted inside the upper canopy at the ceiling. Is there a chance your fan conductor is not connected to anything at the box? Lucky you. Keep the dimmer off that fan, and make your connections.