fluorecent lights:splice in separate box, or balast box

Old 04-08-06, 11:14 PM
fluorecent lights:splice in separate box, or balast box

How would you splice the wires that go to a 4"x2"x8' fluorecent light fixture? It'll be in the garage, on the ceiling, screwed to the ceiling joists. Would you just cut a hole in the ceiling sheetrock, run the cable(from the source) down through a fitting(cable clamp), into the balast box, and splice the wires there? Or, would you run the cable (from source) to a separate box first, above the light fixture, splice it there with the cable coming up through the ceiling from the balast box?

Or, is there some alternate way I haven't thought of. I can call my inspector and ask, but I wanted to see what y'all had to say first. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-06, 11:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How would you splice the wires that go to a 4"x2"x8' fluorecent light fixture? It'll be in the garage, on the ceiling, screwed to the ceiling joists. Would you just cut a hole in the ceiling sheetrock, run the cable(from the source) down through a fitting(cable clamp), into the balast box, and splice the wires there? Or, would you run the cable (from source) to a separate box first, above the light fixture, splice it there with the cable coming up through the ceiling from the balast box?*

Where is your source? If it is an approved box, in an approved location etc.. Then yes you can run from the source and go into the fixture as you described, with the approved fittings.

Old 04-09-06, 07:02 AM
Splice in the fixture box. It is permitted.