antique ship luminaires

Old 04-10-06, 07:43 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
antique ship luminaires

So, I've got this cast bronze bulkhead lamp, obviously taken from some ship. It will be mounted on an outside concrete wall, and the new flush box is fed by conduit, thhn. I've likely got a couple of issues, the first of which is: this is a permitted job, and will be inspected. If this lamp ever had a UL marine sticker, its long gone , so I feel its a risk to even install such a fixture. Does anyone have a feel for how this may be viewed by the inspector? Second, if I somehow get an OK from MY inspector to even install it, the lamp itself is designed to mount to a round bronze box, which I also have. So, I've got a flush steel box, then a surface mount bronze box to cover that, then the lamp mounts with 4 screws. So, the second "issue" is that there are no manufacturers instructions, since there is no surviving manufacturer. Can I successfully mount a box over a box, bond it all, and call it a day??

Old 04-10-06, 08:28 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The only thing you can do in this situation is to give them a call and ask. It would also be a good idea to get their answer in writing as the person who inspects the job might not be the same person who signed off on your plan.

Personally, I think it would be acceptable but it's all up to the inspector's discretion. Is there any way you could replace the "guts" of the lamp with a modern UL listed assembly? It could be as simple as affixing a new bulb base into the old fixture.

Old 04-10-06, 09:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by telecom guy
Can I successfully mount a box over a box, bond it all, and call it a day?
I have no problem with this.
Clearly you need something that supports more than 6 lb and it needs to keep water out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: