Outlet Has Power

Old 04-10-06, 06:24 PM
cec
Outlet Has Power

Hi
I have an outlet that wont work. I thought the outlet was broken. I tested it and it has power. I replaced the outlet with a new one, it still will not work. I again used the tester and there is power. Nothing I plug into it will work except the testers.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-06, 06:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have an open neutral. Get the right tester. One that has 3 prongs and 3 lights. Plug it in and it will tell you the story.

Old 04-10-06, 06:58 PM
cec
Originally Posted by chandler
You have an open neutral. Get the right tester. One that has 3 prongs and 3 lights. Plug it in and it will tell you the story.
How do I fix an open neutral?
Thanks so much for helping.

Old 04-10-06, 07:17 PM
I don't know what kind of tester you have, but you are not using it properly or it is not appropriate for the job.

Yes, your problem is likely an open neutral, but it could also be an open hot. Performing a proper test will help you determine which.

An open is when a wire has become disconnected. It could be a failed connection, or it could be that you damaged a wire (say by driving a nail through it while hanging a picture). The usual cause is a failed back stab connection.

To find the open you need to check ALL the junction boxes on the circuit. That means every receptacle, every light, etc. The problem will be at either the last working location or the first non-working location or between the two. While checking, remake every wire nut connection and move any back stabbed connections to the screw terminals on the devices.