Neutral bus bar broke off homeline panel

Old 04-11-06, 07:47 PM
Neutral bus bar broke off homeline panel

I have a sub-panel on a detached building, with a four-wire (including ground) feeder. I removed the bar that bonded the neutral and ground, and the two bus bars were each hanging on by a small plastic tab, which broke when I was wrestling the direct burial wire in. What can I do? (short of never buying homeline load centers again!) Do you think I would be OK using epoxy to re-connect the bus bar in the same place? I do not think it is a good idea to have it 'floating' around in the load center cause it could maybe short on one of the breakers. Any good ideas?
I am getting it inspected. After the struggle I had getting the service wires in and the rest of the conduit hooked up, I would hate to replace the whole load center.
Thanks in advance,
Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-06, 08:15 PM
Maybe you could buy an identical panel and swap the guts? (if the panel you bought had a main, perhaps you could buy one identical but without the main to save a few $$.)

If it broke that easy, I wouldn't rely on epoxy holding it together...and I doubt the inspector would like it...and I definitely wouldn't just hope he/she does not notice.

Old 04-11-06, 08:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Homeline panels use a bond screw, not a bar. Auxilary ground bars are not included with the panels and need to be purchased seperately. There are several locations where they will screw in. Look for a raised bump that mates with a hole in the buss.

It sounds like you removed a screw that holds the neutral buss to the panel.

Old 04-11-06, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by colorado hick
What can I do? (short of never buying homeline load centers again!)
A neutral kit should fix you up.

> Do you think I would be OK using epoxy to re-connect the bus
> bar in the same place?

No.

> I do not think it is a good idea to have it 'floating' around
That would be unacceptable.
Your dealer should be able to get you the parts or a new neutral kit that has the plastic parts.

Old 04-11-06, 09:52 PM
the other thing you can do with Homeline breaker senice this is manufacted by SqD company and they should have replacement netural busbar kit and also look for " oversize " connecting kit

the number are LK100AN will fit #6 to 2/0 CU/AL wire this for oversized netrual wire if need it

the other item you might look for this one PKGTAB this might be the very simauir size what you have with broken netrual busbar holder

I suggest to stop at real electrical supply centre where they do carry sqd prodcuts

Merci , Marc